Roon Not Working With Older Sonos Connects

Folks,

I’m having trouble with my Sonos Connects again. Please forgive the repeated topic…

If I’m reading things correctly, my core is sonictpap (10.0.1.39) running Roon 1.8 build 846. Roon works perfectly with my PS Audio DirectStream Jr., and with my Apple TV 4K (via AirPlay.)

I have three Sonos Connects. Barring a few hiccups, they’ve been working for years as endpoints for my secondary stereos around the house, but as of August, they don’t seem to work any more. I can’t get Roon to even see the Connects, much less set them up. Sonos customer support was completely worthless… (The support rep kept saying “room.")

After loading Sonos’ software on my computer so I could at least see if the Connects were “there,” they seem to be “live” on my network and I am able to see the following…

Connect: Home Theater System
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-27-C8-2E:G
Sonos OS: S1
Version: 7.0 (build 34735130)
Hardware Version: 1.1.16.4-1
Series ID: (Unknown)
IP Address: 10.0.1.6
WM: 0
r8: 16.0-7

Connect: Family Room Stereo
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-27-42-44:6
IP Address: 10.0.1.4

Connect: Bedroom Stereo
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-29-3F-D2:B
IP Address: 10.0.1.10

The Sonos software said something about not being able to upgrade to S2 or somesuch, but I can’t get back to that screen now. I’m guessing this would be a barrier to setting them up as a Sonos array (if but only to test them for functionality within the Sonos architecture.) But my goal is obviously to use them as Roon endpoints as I always have.

The fine folks over at Small Green Computer said the old Connects should still work with Roon, but in fairness, this is outside the scope of their support.

Every so often I read about how old Sonos equipment will someday be unusable, but up 'till now I’ve been OK. Are these Connects essentially now “bricks” as far as their use by Roon, or am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks for any help.

Andrew

Hi Andrew - I use 3 x Sonos connects of similar vintage to yours. Normally, everything is fine. A couple of weeks ago, I suddenly had all sorts of issues with the Connects randomly disappearing. Long story short: power interruptions in the house meant that things had rebooted in the ‘wrong’ order, and IP addresses got scrambled somewhere. I did have reserved addresses for the Connects, and one was hard-wired with the rest on WiFi. Deleting the reservations, then rebooting the whole system, starting with the router, has returned my system back to stability. Maybe that will help you too.

Steve

Have you rebooted everything?
I looked at my connects but they have very different versions so think they must be a different model.
I think mine were zp80 not connects.

Hey @Andrew_McGinley,

I can’t believe it’s been almost three weeks since you posted this topic. We’re so sorry about the delay… :pensive:

I was wondering, is the issue still ongoing? We’d love to help if so :nerd_face:

I tried rebooting everything in every conceivable order. The Connects do not show up in Roon. My other endpoints show up just fine.

How can I force Roon to see the Connects? The crappy Sonos app sees them…well it sees two of them… the one I “reset” now is completely invisible, even to the Sonos app.

This is ridiculous. And Sonos customer service is shameful.

Any further ideas? Many thanks.

Andrew

1 Like

I am having the same issue with my 3 ZP80s. They will show up for a while, then disappear. Restarting the Roon core does not always help. Restarting the Sonos units never helps.

Start your own support thread to be seen.