Roon now highjacking iPad volume since update

I have no audio output on my iPad now. It was okay up until very recently. I did have the issue of 100% volume if I had used the Roon Remote app on my iPad and then tried to use any other app that has audio.

However, upon trying to play YouTube yesterday, my iPad has no audio at all. I then tried the Roon app and set my endpoint as my iPad. Still no audio. It’s a very new iPad Pro. Any ideas?

Just to come back to my no iPad audio post, a shutdown and restart of my iPad fixed the issue.

@support This is a rather dangerous bug to have and we’ve had no updates since September.

5 Likes

As has been mentioned elsewhere, you can temporarily set device volume limits to protect equipment from this “bug” until a resolution has been implemented. You can override the limit, if required, with the application/software volume slider, easy peasy.

This is the danger, the volume is completely hijacked. Setting limits does not prevent from being blasted with full volume on any iOS device.

5 Likes

OK, thanks, I don’t use device volume controls (never have) which may explain why it works for me, so far!

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus+
8tb internal ssd

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Cable>etherregen> (A)nucleus (b) Linn dsm

Connected Audio Devices

Linn dsm via Ethernet from etherregen and Nucleus plus

Control through idevices

Number of Tracks in Library

37000 tracks

Description of Issue

I’m am using your beta feature where one can control the volume/previous/fast-forward on the Lock Screen of my iPhone.

I also use an iPad to control Roon. I go back and forth depending on whether I’m sitting or standing - my system is a open plan space in my home…

Scenario: I am sitting and listening to music while checking mail on my iphone.

My wife turns the music up using the iPad.

Bug/result: the volume goes up on my phone.

This is unexpected and has caused several problems for me when I have played a video using my phone. All the sudden it’s playing at a high volume when I think it’s off.

I can understand why the volume on my phone changes when I use this beta feature from my phone (though it’s not preferred… Having another device on my network change my phones volume is reallly weird.

2 Likes

Kill the app on the phone while using it on the iPad and vice versa at least until such time as the issue is resolved.

Yes. It’s a shame - I like the Lock Screen feature but the side effects are too dangerous.

1 Like

Checking in to see if there’s any news on this… sad to see the lack of response from Roon.

5 Likes

Agree. Wonder who is responsible if one of us damages gear.

3 Likes

Damaging gear and/or damaging ear!

5 Likes

Unfortunately the situation appears to be endemic in Roon support & is especially suprising when this particular problem is affecting so many Customers.

4 Likes

Hi folks, we’ve made some changes to this behavior that we’re currently testing in alpha. I can’t comment on a timeline for release just yet, but rest assured we are on it!

If you’ve been affected by this, go ahead and :heart: this post – I might be able to get y’all an early beta preview of the changes when we’re closer to release.

37 Likes

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::
Does this count? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

:heart_eyes:
thank you from the bottom of my heart, because i experience it again and again that something is very loud and then other people get scared and look at me badly. very unpleasant.

5 Likes

Could someone at Roon report on the status of the bug fix for this problem, please. Why is it taking so long?

3 Likes

iOS peeps check in!

Roonies… where is the fix for this bug? If you were going to define the worst possible user experience for hardware clients this would have to be a contender I think.

5 Likes

As a temporary fix, I created a Siri Shortcut on my iPad, that changes the volume of my iPad back to a “normal” value when the Roon app is being closed. To do this, go to shortcut app, and create a new “automation”. Set if “Roon” is closed then configure volume. It’s quite easy and does the job for me…

12 Likes

Wow. That works great. Thanks Supersonic!

2 Likes