Roon now starting at "Choose Your Roon Core"

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build numb

Mac mini 4.1 (mid 2010) with 2.66 Intel Core Duo Processor, 500 GB hard drive with 8GB memory running Yosemite 10.10.5 (highest that can run on this Mac).
Latest build prior to the major update that requires a more recent OS.
Also connected to Glyph GPT50 hard drive (2TB) and Glyph Studio hard drive (4TB) containing high resolution audio files and Roon Backups.
Plus Tidal and Qobuz.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Network is small, with Mac Mini connected to internet via WiFi provided through Frontier Communications DSL (45 Mbps) with Netgear Arris NVG448B modem and attached Netgear Nighthawk AC 1900 Smart WiFi Router Model R7000.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Auralic Vega DAC via USB to Parasound Halo P7 preamplifier via balanced outputs, to Sunfire Architect II amplifier.

Description Of Issue

Roon now starting at “Choose Your Roon Core”.

Need effective support

I have spent an hour trying to complete this. Two attempts to post my issue generated reply “Sorry, new users can only put 2 links in a post”. My post had no links, at least none that I could identify.

Saved my post as a draft, signed out and went back in and it allowed me to post my draft, which I then discovered posted, but with out problem description or correction of typos I had cleaned up prior to saving the draft.

Bottom line, spent hours trying to find out why this is happening and to find out what happened to my Roon core.

This is really bad support!

I don’t know what your issue is, but connect your Roon core by ethernet, not WIFI. Also, don’t back up Roon to the same drive as your “watched music drive.” Try rebooting everything to see if that might help. It sometimes does.

I hear you regarding the increased reliability of an ethernet connection, however, WiFi has been fine and nearly flawless ever since Roon became available in the US, so don’t believe that is the issue. Also my room backup, as well as complete duplicate files of all of my hi res files are on the 4 TB drive while Roon watches the 2 TB drive, so that’s not the issue either. Whatever it is has cropped between April11 and 16.

Have you tried to deauthorize your core and reauthorize or is that not an option?

1 Like

Your mini is well under spec for roon too FYI, how many tracks in your library?

Yes, I had thought of that as a way to possibly re-create my Core, but was afraid it would also possibly remove my ability to have the Core on this computer since my Mac is incompatible with the latest Roon build, in which case I’m better of waiting until I get my new one in May. So unless someone can confirm that such an approach would not be a problem for my current Mac and make it impossible to use my Roon subscription, I did not want to try it and “hope for the best”.

Yes, which is why I am getting a new Mac in May and have been using the last Roon build until I receive the new one. My library is approximately 16,000 tracks, mostly rips of my CDs and hi res files, across Rock, Jazz, Classical and Country.

1 Like

You should notice a large jump in performance for searches etc.

Roon’s is a hungry beast, the core PC needs to be an enough !!

is your current 500 drive an SSD or HDD, that’s important as is an Ethernet connection

Hi @Dwight_Heil

Apologies for the delay! Our team’s queue is longer than typical at the moment, but we’re working to get back to everyone as quickly as we can.

I agree with the above — I’d definitely expect things to be much better on the new Mac that you’re getting. The Core you’re currently using doesn’t meet our recommendations, so it could definitely contribute to the issues you’re seeing here. Let us know how things go when you get the new Core!

So Dylan, if I understand you correctly, it would not be useful to deauthorize my current Core and try to re-establish it on my current Mac mini for a few weeks, but I should wait until I get the new one (with the M1 chip) with the latest OS and set up Roon on the new computer. Are there any issues in migrating to the new Mac I should be aware of, such as needing to de-authorize my current Core before migrating to the new Mac, or other concerns?

Have a read of the Migration guide - that should help you out. You will be able to de-authorize your old Core from the new Mac; you don’t have to de-authorize your current Core first.

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/migration

Thanks, Geoff. In looking at the migration link, it indicates that “confirm you’re running the latest version of Roon on both the new and the old Core…It is mandatory that both are fully updated”. My old Core cannot be updated because it won’t work on OS 10.10.5 and that old Mac can’t be updated beyond that OS. In my current situation, Roon isn’t recognizing my old Core and won’t let me set up a new Core without paying a new subscription fee or deauthorizing the old Core. Is there a work around to this problem, or do I need to more or less start from scratch with the new Mac mini with the M1 chip? If so, how do I do that without invalidating my existing lifetime subscription or having to pay for a new subscription? Or do I simply login at Roon.com, then deauthorize my existing Core and let it build the new Core on my new Mac mini from the external hard drive and relying on the “Favorites” information in Tidal and Qobuz to populate those selections in my Roon library?

You can transfer a license between Cores ad infinitum. You only need additional subscriptions if you are using more than one Core simultaneously. See here:

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/how-many-licenses-do-i-need

So, what’s the version of Roon that you are currently running on your old Mac?

Since Roon starts with “Choose your Roon Core”, I can’t actually get to the specific information about my current build, but I had downloaded the update that was prior to the major update last month that required a higher level of the Mac OS that I can’t install. My settings require Roon to notify me before updating so I kept selecting not to upgrade, planning to wait until I get my new Mac mini in May. Roon had continued to work that way with no problems through April 11, then on April 16 when I attempted to start Roon, it went directly to “Choose Your Roon Core” and gives me the option to search for my Core, which I attempted but quit after 4 hours with no result, then chose the “Set up A Roon Core on this Mac” option, which I found would require deauthorizing my existing core, as discussed previously. Roon doesn’t allow me to go anywhere else in Roon, so I can only assume there was a “drop dead” limit that forced Roon to ignore my notification settings and update or something else that resulted in my present inability to start and use Roon on my current Mac mini.