Roon Nucleus channels reversed on DSD playback

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus
Operating System: Version 1.0 (build 259) production
Roon Labs Software: Version 1.0 (build 14) production.
Roon Server Software: Version 2.0 (build 1311) production

Networking Gear & Setup Details

N/A

Connected Audio Devices

Geshelli J2 DAC connected via USB

Number of Tracks in Library

14,211 tracks

Description of Issue

When I upsample to DSD the channels are reversed. I have verified that when I have no upsampling, left and right channels are as they should be.

When I upsample to DSD (either 64 or 128) the channels are reversed. I went so far as to check using Bunker Analog’s Stereo Check track: with DSD upsampling enabled when the woman says “left speaker” it is, in fact, coming out of the right speaker.

If I turn DSD upsampling off (Sample Rate Conversion enabled, but set “For compatibility only”), the Bunker Analog track is rendered correctly (“left speaker” comes from the left speaker).

@Sean_Birdsell, just a fellow user and not a customer of Geshelli. Is it possible the DAC could reverse the channels when receiving a DSD signal? Is it possible to play a DSD track through a different music app to the J2 and isolate the issue to the DAC, Roon, or something else? Also, when you upsample to DSD, what DSD resolution and are you performing any other DSP through Roon on the track?

Thanks for the help. I guess it’s possible it’s a Geshelli issue, but I’m disinclined to believe that. Mostly because I found this issue reported here previously (just not on a Nucleus). There’s also the fact that I can find no references to this problem if I focus on Geshelli.

Are you connecting the DAC directly to the Nucleus?

Plenty of DACs actually reverse DSD signal or have reversed channels between XLR and RCA out (this is especially a issue with some smsl and other Chinese DACs).

I upsample everything to DSD 64 for my Cambridge CXN V2 and to DSD256 for my SMSL D300 and have i no issue with reversed channels .

Yes. Via USB.

Interesting. Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed after 45 days. New replies are no longer allowed.