Roon nucleus doesn't work as advertised

And what did you enter?

First of all, you dont “load Nucleus” anywhere…
A Nucleus is a hardware device which acts as Roon Core and Roon Bridge. It needs to be connected to the same network as where your files are shared. (Unless your Nucleus was ordered with internal storage added, in which case you need to migrate yout music files to its internal storage)

Other than the Nucleus you need a Roon Control, which can be installed on a tablet, smart phone or a computer.

Now that we have done some basics, can you elaborate on your setup, please? Just yapping about what crap this Roon thing is won’t get you any nice answers…

I get \discstation music not available I’ve had this for a few months and it apparently needs me to go in and rename my file paths but my pc isn’t letting me.

windows 7pro on 1 pc windows 8 on another the imac has some version of safari I bought the $1500 nucleus unit that does a wonderful job of streaming tidal

AND BEING MY FIRST DAY POSTING I can’t post anymore today, tho it is allowing me to edit. so I posted my system on previous posts.

[Moderated]

No the drop down window doesn’t see any of my devices even though I can launch roon from any device I have.

Is that in response to typing in “\discstation?” I do not think that is a valid directory path.

Are you actually using a Nucleus which is a small server box made by Roon or are you trying to run Roon by installing it on one of your own devices?

Can you view a directory listing of the physical device on which your files sit?

Can the drop-down on “Storage” find the physical device on which your files sit?

I think we need a clear description of what computer hardware you are using.

This isn’t true and there’s no reason to shout. People will help, even without the attitude.

You pay $100 a month?:face_with_raised_eyebrow: You’re getting ripped off.

See this as a way to report problems and get useful help -

It seems the only thing my nucleus can access is tidal! I did notice the tidal homepage does have more content on the screen at once notably the favorites which doesn’t show as many options as the roon app. not a big deal for me . My problem is I bought the $1500. nucleus and pay my monthly fee and can’t play ANYTHING on any of my storage devices! an imac with a thousand or so tracks, a pc with 6000 or so some in itunes some thru windows media and my wifes iphone with about 500 songs all on the same network and the nucleus only sees the streamer. So much for plug and play. I have spent hours reading instructions and it appears i’ll have to learn how to write code if I want to ever hear my music again, or sell the roon at a huge loss and buy something that works as advertised.

THE MESSAGE BOARD STILL HAS ME LOCKED OUT< FOR A FEW MORE HOURS

Settings->Storage->Add Folder?

BTW - Although iTunes is supported, WMA files are not. If you have WMA files you’ll need to convert them to something else, e.g. FLAC.

I’m assuming there’s no 2.5" drive inside the Nucleus, so assuming whoever sold you the Nucleus doesn’t want to install one, the easiest thing to do would be to get yourself an external USB hard drive that’ll hold your 7,500 tracks — you should probably go with something that will allow for substantial future growth in your library. Put all your music on that drive, hook it up to the Nucleus, and you’ll be in business. (Don’t forget to make provision for backups.)

Here are a couple of examples of things that will work, but there are many, many choices available:

We’re not talking about a huge expense here, compared with your purchase of the Nucleus. No coding required.

If the Nucleus cannot see these devices, it is likely that they are not shared devices on the LAN. This is not a Nucleus/Roon issue but one that must be addressed.

1 Like

You need to sort out your network (shared folders etc.). Two dozen posts into this thread and I’m still at a loss as to what your setup is.

2 Likes

Hello @Steve_wolf,

Sorry to hear about your frustration with Nucleus. I am not sure which guide you are following to set it up but we have clear instructions on how to set up a Nucleus here (https://kb.roonlabs.com/Nucleus_Manual).

If things are not working as expected, your first line of support should always be your Nucleus dealer and if they’re not helping you out with issues like this then you should let us know who they are so we can have a chat with them and explain what kind of support their customers should be getting when they purchase a Nucleus through them. Users here at community try to be helpful even when they’re not obligated to be, so please bear with them when they try to assist.

Ok, now to the main issue at hand… it seems like you’re trying to acess a network folder that’s located on another PC from your Nucleus. For the Nucleus to see this folder, you would have to share the folder on your network using these instructions first:

Windows: (https://www.teamknowhow.com/kit-guide/computing/windows/windows-10-file-sharing)
Mac: (https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_How_do_I_create_a_shared_folder_on_Mac_and_add_it_as_a_watched_folder_in_Roon%3F).

Adding folders is also broken down in more visual steps here (https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_How_do_I_import_music%3F).

If you’re not able to set up the network share in Windows or it is too technical of a process you might want to look into physical attached storage for your Nucleus as other users have mentioned, plugging in an external hard drive would be a simpler process and would just require the stops listed on the “How do I import music” article I linked above.

Hope this helps but do let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

@Steve_wolf, where did you buy your Nucleus from?

Ddigital Indian head park IL. I sent him a text telling him I couldn’t access my files and he sent me a link that brought me here. Apparently the only thing the nucleus can locate is my streamer/dac an none of my other sources can be seen on the screen where i’m supposed to select files I loaded roon software on 3 devices that are on the network and the software can’t find the music files in their respective computers let alone anywhere else. I’ve turned on file sharing and the 2 pc’s tell me when each other is available

1 pc runs windows 7 pro the other runs windows 8 ath imac uses safari i think.Instructions i was given send me to a site that tells me ho to share files in os 10, will that work?

nothing that’s on the screen is showing up, no hard drives, no files or folders,wait I get an error\discstation\music\ drive is not available. check the drive or edit the folder.
I did try to edit the folder but since I don’t know how I failed.

Yes, sounds like you need to set up file sharing to access files on other networked machines. The directions for WIN7/8 are similar. I think they were in the same guide as how to do sharing in WIN10. Can’t speak for macOS.

I don’t believe Roon will recognize files in the WMA format. Either on a shared folder in a networked machine or on a local folder in a machine running Roon.

After you get file sharing set up on your networked machines then in Roon go to Settings->Storage->Add Folder to add the folders that you are sharing.

Really a sh*tty thing to do. He completely washed his hands of you.

@Steve_wolf -

I’ve been thinking about your problems.

My advice is to give up. By that, I mean you should take the Nucleus back to the dealer. It sounds like you just bought it and there must some sort of money back guarantee. They’ll either refund your money or be a little more helpful in setting it up.

I’m betting they’ll refund your money.

If they do, install Roon on the PC were your music files are. This will avoid all the network sharing tasks. Once you get situated as to how Roon works then you can jump back in with both feet. Of course, you can put Roon on a new machine without taking back your Nucleus.

As it stands now you’ve got two major problems, well three really. You don’t understand computers and you don’t, yet, understand Roon.

Let’s try to simplify things.:slightly_smiling_face:

You know, I’ve been able to get sharing to work on 1 pc but the one with most all my music will not cooperate. I’m agreeing with you. I’ve had the nucleus for several months so I doubt he’ll refund me. but my frustration has subsided enough for me to keep plugging away. I do however think this software is more work than most consumers would expect and while all my music files on my windows 8 are set for sharing the software doesn’t see it. Clearly too advanced for me. I will hire somebody to fix my problem and TO BE CLEAR. I WOULDN’T RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT TO CONSUMERS without adding and including home setup.
If I thought I could get a refund or get this thing working as presented I wouldn’t be behaving so poorly.