Roon Nucleus goes silent or turns to static noise every few minutes even though it still looks like it is playing on ipad

Hi @Timothy_Davis,

Thanks for sending those timestamps! I just checked our diagnostics servers and I’m not seeing any new log reports, is the Nucleus still powered on at the present time? If the Nucleus is powered off, please turn it on and let me know so I can re-check.

If it is on, it is possible that the Nucleus is having a networking issue, please use these instructions to send a manual log set. Once I have the logs, I’ll run them by our technical team to see if there’s any further clues. Also, if you haven’t updated the Nucleus yet, we recently released a new Roon build, I would check if the new build changes anything with regard to the issue, thanks!

I turned the Roon off a couple of days ago because, as you know, it doesn’t work well enough to enjoy listening to music and I didn’t know it had to remain on for you to do the diagnostics-- I thought the purpose of the time stamps was that the diagnostics would look at some history about what happened when it was malfunctioning. In any case, I just turned it back on so please let me know if you are seeing that on your end.

I’m hoping you don’t need me to send more time stamps now, but please let me know right away if you do and I will send more as soon as I can.

I’m assuming that since the Roon was turned off, I don’t need to follow the instructions in your second paragraph, but let me know if you feel differently.

I don’t think new software (Roon Build) is going to solve the issue. Before I ever contacted Roon, I had my local Roon dealer come by to troubleshoot and he re-installed the current operating system at that time, which made no difference with the issue. However, I will try later today. Does installing the new Roon Build affect the diagnostic process at all? Don’t want to slow that down so please let me know.

Thanks again for your continued help. I will be travelling next week so am really hoping that if the Nucleus needs to be sent in for repairs, that I can get it packaged up and sent out to you in the next few days so we don’t lose a lot more time. Anything you can do to expedite this process would be much appreciated. I’m happy to get on the phone and talk through anything that would be helpful.

Regards,

Tim

1 Like

Hi @Timothy_Davis,

I can confirm that the log set has been delivered to our servers, I plan to review them with our technical team and once they have been reviewed, I will update you accordingly, thanks!

Thanks, Noris. I appreciate the response and look forward to hearing back from you.

Talk to you soon.

Regards,

Tim

Noris-

Hope you are well.

Just checking in. Have you been able to review the log set with your technical team? Is there anything else I can do to help? If not, can you provide me with a timeframe of when you will be able to review the log set with your technical team?

Thank you very much for your continued help with this. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Tim

Hi @Timothy_Davis,

Thanks for checking in! Yes, I do have some updates to share with you after discussing the logs with our technical team.

Looking at the M2tech logs it appears that the issue occurred when your M2tech switches sample rates. There were no errors reported by the system on the Roon side, but rather the error occurred after Roon outputted the content, and if the issue occurs on the USB chipset itself, we cannot control this.

We understand that it’s frustrating that you haven’t been able to get this working, but you should be aware that neither of these devices are Roon Ready / Tested (https://roonlabs.com/partners), meaning we haven’t tried them in the lab with a Nucleus/ROCK so your results might be an interaction with the Nucleus Operating System.

Since we are seeing the Nucleus performing as expected here, our next suggestion would be to keep the Nucleus running as the Core and try plugging the DACs to your Windows PC running Roon in Remote mode and have Windows communicate with the DAC driver. This way if the issue is the DAC driver, we can narrow it down.

Noris-

Sorry for my slow response. I was having the same problem with different DACs so I was pretty sure it was the Roon. However, I am happy to report that since I updated the operating system (at your suggestion), everything has been playing fine. I haven’t tested it as much as I would like though so can you keep the ticket open for a couple more weeks to make sure this is behind me? I am optimistic that things are okay now, but want to make sure.

It’s still a bit of a mystery to me why I was having so much trouble before so any other ideas of what you think may have happened would be appreciated.

In any case, thank you very much for your help on this. I really love the Roon/Nucleus product and am happy that the issues seem to be resolved and I am enjoying music again!

Sincerely,

Tim

Hi @Timothy_Davis,

That’s fantastic news!

I can certainly keep the thread open or if anything were to happen and the thread is auto-closed, just provide our team a link to it and we can re-open.

Thank you!

1 Like