Roon Nucleus has loud static noise

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Nucleus Version 1.0 (build 12) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Router: Arris Surfboard SBG7600>Orbi modem>Nucleus (hardwired Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Ethernet into Nucleus>Auralic vega 2.1 USB>Balance out to ML 585.5

Description Of Issue

During playback every time I am listening and usually when I change songs I get a loud static noise. It doesn’t go away unless I cycle power on the Nucleus. It’s been happening since I purchased the unit 5 months ago.

Try upsampling inside Roon to DSD128 or 256.

Do you get the same problem if you use the Vega as a Roon Ready device on ethernet instead of usb connection? Or am I misunderstanding the capabilities of the Vega?

I’m going to give both suggestions a shot. Thanks for the help

Let us know what happens - either way the system shouldn’t be doing that, so something’s wrong somewhere. …

What does your Roon signal path look like?

Hi @David_Girard,

Please share a screenshot of your Signal Path when this issue occurs.

Do you notice the issue occurring on other zones as well? What happens if you try to play to the Nucleus HDMI zone and have that connected to a TV/Reciever as a test, do you still hear the static?

Here is the signal path. I haven’t tired another zone. I have to look into that.

Andy,
No your correct I can plug the ethernet into the Vega. I tried that earlier but had trouble with Auralic’s lighting DS app not working. I will attempt that one again.

I don’t think you need the Auralic app… when plugged into the same network as the Nucleus the Vega should show up as a zone once you enable it (in Roon settings) as a Roon Ready endpoint.

I only have one Ethernet run into my listen room. I was behind on a couple updates on the Vega and completed those. The Vega is displaying DSD512.

Have you been able to try any of @noris‘s diagnostic test yet?

If you want to try the Vega network connected (I’m making no claims about whether it might work/sound better) you could plug the Vega into your single ethernet run, and relocate the Nucleus so that you can plug it directly into your router. It doesn’t matter where it’s physically located.

If you decide to stick with that architecture, but want the Nucleus in the same room, you could use a small ethernet switch on the end of your single run. It’s what many people do - especially those who want to use ‘audiophile’ grade switches. I’d be surprised if the Vega didn’t work properly with a ‘normal’ switch…

I have no idea why the Vega would be displaying DSD512 - unless there’s some upsampling in the chain somewhere?

I haven’t been able to try the diagnostic tests yet. I need a few days

1 Like

Hi @David_Girard,

Do let us know how it goes testing other zones!

Guys, Since upgrading to 1.8 I haven’t had any problems with the loud static noise coming through. YES!! So all is good.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.