Roon Nucleus+ suddenly not recognizing USB DDC that has been working for almost 2yrs

Roon Core Machine

Roon Nucleus+ on latest version 10.0.0.48 1.8 build.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Nucleus+ is wired through switch to xfinity cable modem - all other wired devices are fine.

Connected Audio Devices

DDC over USB.

Number of Tracks in Library

Less than 10000 tracks in external USB drive which works fine

Description of Issue

Nucleus+ is no longer showing USB as an output choice.

It used to display USB as a potential device and was the default output. Now I see iPad and MacBook Pro but no USB as an option. Nothing I do brings back the USB option which is the only way I can connect to my DDC. I don’t want to use iPad or MacBook Pro for output. Why is USB no longer showing.

I’ve changed USB cables across 3 different brands. I’ve done the pull the power and all those power permutations. I’ve connected an optical Source to the DDC and the rest of the chain works fine.

What is a “DDC”?

Digital to digital converter. Cleans up input digital data signals.

Yes some will argue the Nucleus already allegedly does that. I won’t argue with that point of view either way. In my setup I have the DAC and DDC clocked together (the DAC click is master, DDC is slaved).

The Nucleus+ has worked in this setup for 2yrs. And the Nucleus+ always showed USB as an output option. Now it does not. Hence it’s not seeing the DDC or for that matter the DAC if I remove the DDC.

Thanks for responding David.

This was my first post to support… not sure if this is actually support or a community. It’s been 2 days and 48 views with 1 inquiry. How do I get Roon Labs support for this issue? Thanks…

Let’s ping them by typing
@support
and they’ll follow up once you’re up in their queue…

Thanks Marin…

Does the ddc work if you plug it in elsewhere?

@support no USB

Nucleus+ is no longer showing USB as an output choice.

It used to display USB as a potential device and was the default output. Now I see iPad and MacBook Pro but no USB as an option. Nothing I do brings back the USB option which is the only way I can connect to my DDC [edited: from the Nucleus+]. I don’t want to use iPad or MacBook Pro for output. Why is USB no longer showing.

I’ve changed USB cables across 3 different brands. I’ve done the pull the power and all those power permutations. I’ve connected an optical Source to the DDC and the rest of the chain works fine.

Yes the DDC works fine when in my test setup. Also when I bypass the DDC and go from Nucleus+ directly to USB input port on the DAC no joy….the DAC works fine in my test setup as well

This may be off the wall, but it sounds like a cable may have gone bad. It does happen.

Which DDC is it? Maybe the drivers in the Nucleus no longer support its USB formats, somehow? You say you’ve connected an optical source to it and it works? Was that via USB as well?

Isn’t this what we call USB to SPDIF bridge or USB Audio Bridge (some support I2S as well) ?
I have one in my setup - Audiobyte Hydra Z with Hydra ZPM power supply. I do recommend trying another USB 2.0 certified cable (not too long). I’m guessing this bridge works on USB Audio 2.0.

Thanks for responding. My setup system allows me to connect other sources one-at-a-time to either the DDC preceding the DAC or directly to the DAC. In either case I can connect to either device using USB (which is now not working anymore), Optical, Coax, or AES/EBU. The DAC can also accept I2S-A, I2S-B and I2S-C. The DDC can connect to the DAC via I2S-C, Optical, I2S-C, Coax, and AES/EBU. Default use in my setup is I2S-A between the DDC and DAC.

I’ve tried 3 different brand new - different brand USB cables - aside from the one that was working before - from the Nucleus+ to either the DDC or the DAC…no joy.

My thought at this time is this is a software glitch at the Roon Nucleus+ as it’s settings is no longer showing USB as an option. If this is by design when it does not see a USB device then…hmmm I would think bad design IMHO. The other less likely cause would be a sudden and super coincidental death of both USB ports on both the DDC and the DAC - IMHO highly unlikely.

Nothing changed physically at any of the devices prior to the stoppage. The system worked before I left on a trip. The system stopped working when I got back - simple as that. And the only difference noted is the Nucleus+ no longer showing USB as an output option.

Thanks for responding. All my new USB cables are 1M so was the old one.

Thanks for responding. I’ve tried several see my other more detailed report. I’m gonna bite the bullet and order a Oyaide Neo+ USB cable and try it as well. Not hopeful to be honest but we shall see.

Thanks for responding. Yeah the optical cable was connected from another digital source to both the DDC and the DAC trying to eliminate either as the issue. That test was successful both ways. Optical in to DDC-DAC OK, Optical in to DAC OK. This and the observation that the only thing visually changed is that Nucleus no longer shows USB as an option makes me think it’s the problem. See my other note about the highly unlikely coincidence that both USB ports on the DDC and the DAC would have gotten fried somehow at the exact same time - even if only the DDC was hooked up to the Nuclues+.

My system architecture is as follows

Roon Nucleus+ [USB] => Denafrips GAIA [I2S-A] => Denafrips Terminator Plus [XLR] => PREAMP => AMP

PREAMP can be solid state or all tube [Denafrips or Decware]
AMP can be solid state or all tube. [Denafrips or Decware]

Both solid state and tube paths work fine when I use a non Roon Nucleus+ digital source via Optical cable. I don’t have another digital source, other than the Nucleus+, that I can test the system head with via USB.

The Nucleus + allows for 2 HDMI (audio only) and 1 USB (audio only) and 1 USB (data only) output connections. I’ve tried both USB ports with all the different USB cables to both the DDC and the DAC no joy.

It sounds like you have eliminated bad USB cable as a root cause. The fact that now neither the Denafrips GAIA nor the Terminator are detected would seem to rule them out as well…especially if they are working properly when connected to a different computer.

That leaves the Nucleus+. A software issue is unlikely since it would affect lots of folks, and I’ve not seen similar complaints. To verify, you could use the Web UI for your Nucleus+ to Reinstall the operating system. It’s a lot less scary than it sounds. Just make sure that your Internet connection is up.

If reinstalling the operating system does not restore visibility of the DAC or DDC, it’s starting to sound like a hardware issue. Seems unlikely that both USB ports would die at the same time, but they probably depend on the same USB controller. You could test by connecting a display to the Nucleus+ via HDMI. Connect a keyboard and see if pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL (all three keys at the same time) triggers a reboot.

If there’s no response, you’re probably looking at sending the Nucleus+ in for repair. I’ve had good luck reaching someone via email to contact@roonlabs.com if you’re not getting results in this community.

What is the DDC? The Denafrips Iris? Ah, I see it’s a GAIA.

If you connect a different USB input to the DDC, feeding it from a different source, that is, does it still work? USB Audio is a different protocol from plain USB data transfer; it’s possible one or the other of the two computers involved (the Nucleus and the DDC) are using different USB Audio protocols. Unlikely, to be sure.

Well, we don’t know if the USB input on the GAIA is working.