Roon often favouring Tidal when better quality version exist on Qobuz

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 / i5-8300H / 32GB / SSD / Roon 1.8 (build 783) stable 64bit

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

WiFi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

FiiO K5 Pro plugged directly into Roon Core Laptop over USB

Description Of Issue

In the last day or two, Roon seems to be specifically choosing Tidal over Qobuz for music - even if Qobuz has a better quality version.

For example, after I searched for “Live at Home with his Bad Self” the default was the 16bit 44.1kHz version from Tidal rather than the higher quality, 24-bit 96kHz Qobuz version or even the 24-bit MQA version (note my USB-DAC isn’t MQA-verified) (see below).

I had this a little while ago but seemed to revert back to using Qobuz as the primary (my preferred). I’ve tried lowering the quality of Tidal in the settings below Master, but it still seems to be chosen. Qobuz is set to maximum quality. Not a huge deal, but seems odd - would be good if there was a setting to always choose a certain version by default if available.

2 Likes

Hey @Ben_Hart,

Thanks so much for reaching out about this. I’m only sorry we’ve needed this much time to get back to you - I apologize :pleading_face:

Normally, Roon should automatically play the highest quality copy of the album you’re trying to play:

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/faq-i-have-multiple-versions-of-the-same-album-but-i-only-see-one-album-cover-where-are-the-other-versions

Alternatively, you can choose the primary version for your album. Roon will play it.

It seems that Roon appears to prefer Qobuz instead. Have you tried logging out of both streaming services, restarting your Core and logging back in? Does it help?

Hi @beka , thanks for the reply. I’ve actually just today switched over to a dedicated Roon Core running on ROCK - I can’t replicate the problem at the moment so hopefully now fixed. If it reoccurs I’ll try your troubleshooting steps and report back.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.