Roon on Android cell phone on LTE/3G via VPN

There was a thread like this long ago but no more replies are allowed: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-on-android-cell-phone-on-lte-3g-via-vpn

I discovered some “progress” - when on LTE but with VPN to home, Roon app on Android connects successfully to Roon core at home but it is not possible to play anything - the app doesn’t see the phone, but surprisingly it sees devices at home and I can play to them.

When on WiFi, in the app I can select “This Phone”. When on LTE and VPNed to the home network “This Phone” is not available.

Can you please let us use Roon on cell networks via VPN? Sometimes I’d like to do that but have to find other options. Why not? It’s 2022.

Do Roon developers look here?

Yes and they are looking for votes for the requests.
Some of these are open for a long time and it might take time for others to see your request and vote for it.

1 Like

Hi @G_P,

Checkout this topic, you will see Roon have confirmed this is on their roadmap more so Danny has stated it’s actively being work on.

Hopefully this work will negate the need for VPN workarounds.

1 Like

PS

That link is to this topic, if you are able to find the now closed topic let me I know and I can update your post to use it.

1 Like

The post was on 2015 and now it’s 2022. I guess “on the roadmap” means taking forever.

Whilst that topic does date back that far, the topic’s title was updated relatively recently and appended with …“[On Roadmap]”.

This is from a related topic, admittedly it’s still over year old but for me at least it indicates Roon are serious about this work and getting it right.

1 Like