Roon on Android crashes when adding more then 630 songs / 47 albums of one artist

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Server v1.7 build 521 on Linux Server 4.15.0-88-generic #88-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 11 20:11:34 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wired Ethernet utp cat 6

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Pink Faun Streamer 3.4 with Roon Bridge v1.0 (build 171) on audiolinux 4.18.7-rt5-1-rt

Connected via I2S to Pink Faun DAC

Description Of Issue

Roon v1.7 build 521 on Android Pixel 3a crashes when adding more then 630 songs / 47 albums of one artist

Does the core crash/become unavailable or the client?

The client: the Roon app on Android Pixel 3a crashes

Tthere is a known issue with some Android devices freezing that is currently being worked on.

The device doesn’t freeze. The roon app just crashes when browsing to that artist or the app is focused on that artist. When I remove one album of that artist then the app doesn’t crash. I hope this helps.

Hello @Jeroen_Molenaar,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you please reproduce this issue and let me know the exact local time + date of the next crash? I can enable remote diagnostics for your Pixel after receiving this info.

What artist in particular is causing this behavior?

Hi Noris,

I have reproduced the issue 09-03-2020 08:33 hr CET
Artist: Sway NL

Hi @Jeroen_Molenaar,

Thank you for letting me know that timestamp. I have activated diagnostics mode for your Pixel and what this action should do is automatically upload a log-set to our servers next time the app is active.

Can I please request that you use the Roon app on your Pixel for at least a few minutes and let me know once you have done so, and I can check to see if the report has come in?

Hi Noris,

I have used the Roon app for a few minutes now on the Pixel 3a.

Hi @Jeroen_Molenaar,

Thanks for letting me know.

I can confirm that the diagnostics report from your Pixel has been received by our diagnostics servers and I have requested additional feedback from QA regarding the report.

Once I hear back from QA, I’ll be sure to update you accordingly, thanks!

Hi @Jeroen_Molenaar,

I appreciate your patience until I had a chance to consult with QA regarding your case. They have asked if you could provide some more information here:

You previously mentioned that you were able to remove one album to stop this issue from occurring, is it one album in particular or is it any album from this artist that temporarily resolves this behavior?

Are there any other artists in your library which have more albums than the Sway NL artist?

Does accessing any artist which have more albums than Sway NL also exhibit this behavior?

Do you have any other Roon Remotes/Clients in your system? Do they experience the same behavior when navigating to Sway NL? If you have another PC around the house, can you please try installing Roon on it and verify if the behavior is the same there when connecting to the current Core?

1. I removed 10 albums from artist ‘Sway NL’ and (including the one I added the last time) but the app still crashes when I browse to that artist ‘Sway NL’ or when the app is focused on that artist.

I have removed the complete artist ‘Sway NL’ from the lib by removing all songs from Sway NL from the storage. Then the app doesn’t crash. I have cleaned up the roon lib in settings and added the artist ‘Sway NL’ again to the storage (except the last 10 albums) and then the Roon app crashes again.

I repeated this and removed the Artist Sway NL from the storage and added again including all songs / 47 albums. And now all is fine, the Roon Android App doesn’t crash. I will let you know when it crashes again

I don’t understand this. I can’t pinpoint the issue. The Sway NL artist is my own recordings in flac and tagged with MP3tag v3.00. Please find one album here including tag.html configuration: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_XrbvT-vQX_ITRSSG_7K5TZSQkOLYSbr

1. There is one artist ‘Blur’ having 39 albums in my lib.

2. No works fine with Blur

3. Yes, I have other Roon Remotes/Clients in your system? No, the Roon app on a iOS device and Roon on win10 PCs don’t crash. Only the Roon App on the pixel 3a.

Hi @Jeroen_Molenaar,

Thank you for the additional information, I have mentioned this on your case notes and have requested QA to review your findings and take a look at the album you sent.

Hi @Jeroen_Molenaar,

I appreciate your patience until QA has had a chance to look into this behavior further.

They have informed me that they were unable to reproduce your findings using the sample media you sent, but they did mention that it appears that the album you sent did not have a cover.

In our latest release (build 528), we addressed an issue on Android regarding albums which have no albums covers impacting the stability of Android Roon remotes.

Can you please update to the latest build of Roon on your Android device and let me know if you’re still seeing this behavior with Sway NL?

Thx for your effort Noris. I’m not able to reproduce the issue anymore since I removed the artist for the storage and added it back again. I’m running build 528 on Android. It’s fine for me to close this topic.

1 Like

Hi @Jeroen_Molenaar,

Thanks for letting me know. I have marked this topic as [solved] but if you experience any further issues just let us know!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.