Roon on Android resamples everything to 48 KHz over Bluetooth

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Debian Stable 10.3
Roon 1.7 Build 528

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

GigE to 802.11ac AP

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Bose Free SoundSport wireless earbuds
Bluetooth AAC codec over A2DP
OnePlus 6T Android 10
Roon 1.7 build 528
Connected via 802.11ac to local AP

Description Of Issue

Roon appears to resample all music to 48 KHz irrespective of original bitrate - of concern is that CD quality music is resampled to 48 KHz and while I can changed the max bit depth to 24 bits in Roon, Android studiously ignores everything and claims to always plays back at 44.1 KHz/16 bit according to the developer settings.

So why is Roon resampling 44/16 music to 48/16 when the OS indicates 44/16 is the supported rate for these earbuds?

Thanks, and apologies that this same question was so recently asked, I did search before posting - incompetently clearly!

The only wrinkle in the “android always resamples” is that in Developer Mode, its possible to modify all sorts of parameters for Bluetooth playback, including bitrate and bitdepth, which implies that Android doesn’t always resample or doesn’t have to. I’ll experiment with some local music and wired headsets as well and report back.

Thanks

It is frustrating because I can stream Qobuz through UAPP in hi res but roon will not allow it.

@Billy_k thank you, I’d wondered if Qobuz had the same limitation. Question, does UAPP work for Bluetooth as well? BT may be a different case as there is no DAC in play via USB connected or built in to the phone, the intervening CODEC is for compression only and the DAC is in the headphones/speakers themselves. You have definitely helped me realize I don’t need to experiment with wired headsets, as UAPP is the answer there.

The background on why BT has become interesting to me, despite the absence of hifi credentials is because AptX HD, LDAC and SBC XQ seem to promised greater than 16 bit depth and high bitrate support. Certainly Android developer interface exposes support for far more than 48/16 for Bluetooth. But the game changer has has been activity in audiophile headphone circles to do more with BT - HiFiMan Ananda and Audeze Mobius are both audiophile BT headphones that are available today and Drop has created a stir with the Panda due later in the summer. With these we appear to be moving beyond the headphones of Bose and Sony which are less focus on audio, more active noise reduction. Again, thank you for your insights.

UAPP does work with Bluetooth but it seems to be stuck at 48k for Android. But full 24 192 is available through USB dac.
This is why it is frustrating that roon can’t send audio higher than 48k even if there are ways around it. ie UAPP.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.