Roon on ChromeOS

I also have a PixelBook and it does not connect to my Windows based Roon server. It worked fine until the 1.6 upgrade. I tried entering the IP directly and still no luck. 2 Android phones work fine (same app?) and 5 Windows desktop/laptops also work for control.

I was guessing this doesn’t work because chrome os runs android in some sort of virtual machine with an emulated network layer.

Sure enough, this from google’s developer info on making android apps work on chrome os:

“Chromebooks run the entire Android OS in a container, similar to Docker or LXC. This means that Android will not have direct access to the system’s LAN interface. Instead, IPv4 traffic will pass through an internal layer of network address translation (NAT), and IPv6 unicast traffic will be routed through an extra hop. Outbound unicast connections from an Android app to the internet should mostly work as-is; but in general, inbound connections are blocked. Multicast or broadcast packets from Android will not be forwarded to the LAN through the firewall.”

I’m guessing roon uses broadcast packets to find the core. This, among other things (like NAT), is likely why it won’t work.

1 Like

Many thanks for your enlightning posting, this sounds conclusive. Never read or heard about this limitation. Means, that this problem might be unsolvable in the (nearer) future?!

I can use the remote app on my Peilxbook.
Open the APP chick HELP, when the APP scan core. and input your core’s IP, then you can see your core.
Enjoy