Roon on iPad etc keeps losing contact with my Nucleus

The problem continues with the new router so presumably it is the Nucleus.

Any chance of looking at this? Roon is unusable at the moment with the interruptions.

Tagging @support for you @Adrian_Howe. I’m at a loss. Are your Nucleus and iPad receiving IP addresses on your LAN from your new router?

Hi @Adrian_Howe,

I am looking into this for us.

Can you please access your Nucleus WebUI and provide a screenshot of this for me? You can type nucleus.local in a web browser to get here or type the IP address.

Thanks,
Wes

Hi Wes

Hi Adrian, Wes will surely see this as well, but as a fellow user I noticed “0% of 114 GB available” for your database settings. Oddly, it still says “OK”. I have only ever seen the database disk hardly used, e.g. I have 99% of 227 GB available, with 41220 tracks. Any idea how you managed to make it full?

1 Like

Hi @Adrian_Howe,

Can you tell us about your library? How many files etc?

If you have some good backups, we can try a clean install of Roon and just re-import your database. Just make sure to restore a backup from a time period when this wasn’t happening. Here are the steps:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

Hi

1581 albums with 34261 tracks

Adrian

Not massive but not small. The database drive should be able to handle that. Give the instructions I provided a shot if you would. Just be sure you have a good backup. We’re looking to see that 0% available message disappear when you complete this.

Regards,
Wes

1 Like

Ok. I won’t be able to do it for a couple of days. Back to you then.

Thanks for your help

Adrian

Hi @Adrian_Howe,

We have additional news to report. It looks like your backups are mapped to the Nucleus internal storage and it’s filling the drive. We will need to rename the folders just the same but I’ll give you step-by-step instructions below.

1. Find a backup that is prior to the issues beginning and restore that backup. I expect you’re going to have some slowness and disconnects because the internal drive is completely full. As a worst-case scenario, take a current backup to a new location (explained below).

2. In Roon, go to Settings>Backups>view and click the three dots to edit the location. You’re going to need to map a network location or connect an external hard drive to your Nucleus. Once you’re provided a new location for the backup, force the backup.

1. Proceed with the steps below once you’re certain you have completed a backup in the new location.
  • Create a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI (type nucleus.local in a web browser)
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database
  1. Open Roon and restore your backup!

Please let me know if you run into any issues!

Regards,
Wes

1 Like

Hi Wes

I followed your instructions but I see that it still says 0% available and attempts to restore a backup keep failing.

Update. There was a power break while I was doing this and now I can’t connect using remotes. I get the ‘something is wrong message’ repeatedly.

Hi @Adrian_Howe,

Try this. When you navigate to the database location, you should see a backups or backup folder there. You need to move this folder to your desktop. Not copy, but move. In order to move it out, you’ll need to Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI. These backups on the database drive are the root cause of the problem and this should resolve it.

Regards,
Wes

1 Like

Hi Wes

It worked! The Roon database now says 98% available. Thanks so much for your help.

Adrian

1 Like

I am so glad, @Adrian_Howe!!!

Make sure you change your backup location. It’s very important that this be done to avoid a repeat of this situation.

Enjoy the music, friend.

Wes

Hi, Wes, could anything be done to make this impossible in the first place?

1 Like

@Suedkiez,

Funny you should ask. I have submitted a Roon ticket to see if we can improve ROCK/Roon OS to prevent this :slight_smile:

Wes

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.