Roon on iPad exits randomly

I purchased the latest Nucleus and lifetime Roon. I’ve noticed Roon GUI will just flicker off if I’m playing music and surfing through new potential artists, or just reading artist bios (that’s half the fun, right?). Sometimes it will do that 4-5 times in a row before stabilizing and staying on.
Possibly a bandwidth issue, but I’m also wondering if upgrading the standard 8 gigs Ram to 16 would be helpful. Has anyone else noticed a difference with this upgrade?

Brand new Ipad with nothing but Tidal and Roon loaded, and I dumped all the programs I would never use. It’s pretty dedicated to being a Roon control device.
8 gigs Ram seems sufficient, but maybe not.

Can you explain what’s happening here in more detail? Also, how large is your library and when did you first start the Nucleus and point it to your music files?

Hi @Patrick_Hatten,

Is there any change in behavior if you reinstall the Roon iOS app? Could you record a short video of this behavior using iOS screen capture and link it here if it’s still the same after an app reinstall?

Library about 1800 albums (1400 on internal SSD). I subscribed to Tidal and moved everything over from Apple before purchasing Roon and Nucleus. It took a couple weeks for Roon to populate all the meta data. After that everything was great.
But, if I bring up, say Devo, whether on Nucleus SSD or streaming from Tidal via the Nucleus’ hardwired Ethernet, and then notice in similar artists, say Bauhaus, and click on that artists’ bio/overview page, suddenly Roon crashes. I’m looking at the Icon on my brand new IPad. Restart — get the roony loading icon, then I’m back at the Bauhaus bio page. Begin to scroll down, boom, looking at the Roon Icon once again.
This doesn’t seem to happen if I stay on an individual album page, only the artist bio.
Bandwidth doesn’t seem to be an issue —we stream HD movies without a moment of disruption. That’s why I’m thinking more RAM might help.

Reinstalled the app. Problem persists, possibly worse.
I took a screen capture video but Roon would not allow whatever that file type is to be uploaded. I thought screenshots were all png ( which is allowed) but apparently not videos.
Is there another way to send this?
I’ll look for a way to convert the file, meanwhile.
Thanks

Does this work?

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0maGr0t30quyTV7QmIjhvExRg

1 Like

Hi @Patrick_Hatten,

Thanks for sending that recording over, I received it properly. I see that the issue occurred at 10:37 AM on February 15th according to the video.

The next steps here would be to take a look at iPad diagnostics to see if the logs indicate the reason for this issue, I have activated diagnostics mode for your iPad and what this action does is automatically upload a log-set to our servers for analysis next time the Roon app is opened.

Can I please ask that you let me know here next time you use your iPad so I can check our servers for the aforementioned diagnostics report? Thanks!

Used it today at 3:25. Started Roon, tried to grab a couple albums (from Tidal) and it crashed maybe 8-9 times in a row. Eventually it settled down. Not sure what that’s about.
Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @Patrick_Hatten,

Thanks for letting me know the timestamp. I have activated diagnostics mode for the iPad and what this action does is automatically upload a log-set to our servers for analysis.

I can confirm that the logs have been delivered and I have located a trace which displays this behavior. The next step here would be to request some additional feedback from QA regarding this trace, and I have added your case to the review queue.

Once I have more information to share, I’ll be sure to let you know, thanks in advance for your patience here.

Hi @Patrick_Hatten,

I appreciate your patience until I had a chance to receive feedback from QA regarding your case. It appears that this issue might be stemming from an artist object in your library, an the iPad crash is an after-effect of trying to access this artist.

Can you please let us know:

1. Is this issue reproducible on any other Roon Remote/Client when accessing the same artists?

2. Does issue persist if you temporarily disable TIDAL in the Roon Settings -> Services tab?

It had to do exclusively with new artists not in my library. And almost always while selecting their biography.
However, I’ve disabled and logged back in from Tidal (trying to solve my other issue of Tidal permanently syncing with my library but never updating it with music I’ve added in Tidal) and the problem seems to have resolved. Also I removed the Tidal cache —maybe that also helped.
Hasn’t solved the Not Updating problem but that’s on a second ticket.
Thanks for looking at the not this.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know @Patrick_Hatten. If the behavior re-occurs do keep me posted and we can take a closer look.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.