Roon on M1 Mac Mini runs great

Sounds like they just got some new hardware M1 and ran the current version of Roon on it. Nothing special there – almost every app runs fine with no tweaks. I’d pay more attention to the ambiguous statement “something we are looking into for the future”. Especially since the current app seems to run well, and the M1 is so fast even for emulation, what would be the benefit for them to take time to make it M1 native? Given that they already don’t care about making native apps for the platforms that run Roon Server and Roon Remote. I see this happening only if it’s some kind of checkbox that they can tick and the underlying framework (.NET, somebody said) takes care of the rest.

I have compiled Mono (.net for non Windows machines) on the M1 with no problem.

Well it doesn’t run well for me. I’ve had nothing but problems since running Roon on an M1 machine. Actually it worked fine for a couple of days, then started to fall apart. First it quit seeing my desktop DAC even though the system, Tidal, etc. still saw it and worked just fine. Now it can’t even find the Core on my network. I’ve wiped out and reinstalled Roon three times on the M1 - doesn’t work at all now.

That sucks. Hopefully if they get more reports of it not working well, it’ll give them more incentive to fix it quickly – especially since their target market of Hi-Fi customers tend to be early adopters for new tech. I will selfishly hope that they improve the iOS remote app at the same time because it’s really a mess.

1 Like

My Mojo works fine in exclusive mode on the M1. This appears to just be a problem with the HDMI audio interface. I’ve raised it on the Feedback app.

1 Like

Disable firewall

It’s off on both the server and the M1. Every other device gets through to the Core just fine. M1 just can’t find it. And they are definitely on the same network. Thanks!

OP. How were you able to install it?

Did you go to the Roon website to download it or copy the install file from a USB drive etc.?

Thanks!

This link was found in a discussion on this forum: http://download.roonlabs.com/builds/Roon.dmg

Yes - macOS download from the website. Thanks!

Thanks. I was able to manually copy a setup file to the M1. It installed and Roon ran without issue.

There seems to be an issue with the web page download link recognizing MacOS on an M1 machine properly.

(Odd. I thought that I posted this here last night???)

How did you do this? I don’t have a problem downloading / installing / running the file. It’s just that once I do that it doesn’t function properly.

Do you have an ethernet cable plugged in as well as wifi connected? This will give your mac 2 addresses on the network which will confuse everything.

I have the same problem with Safari on a 2013 MacBook Pro updated to Big Sur. Roon’s website doesn’t recognize the browser as being a Mac and shows an error message. Using Google Chrome on the same MacBook works, though.

Bryan. I have two Mac Airs both now running Big Sur: a 2015 and a brand new 2020 M1.

It just worked for me, except for the Roon download page. The 2015 Intel machine I upgraded in place so Roon was already installed. For the 2020 M1, since I have no USB-C adapters yet for me thumb drives, I just downloaded the file on a PC, uploaded it to DropBox and downloaded it to my M1. It installed without difficulty and just works…

I will do more testing this weekend to make sure that it is indeed stable.

1 Like

The weirdest thing is that it worked fine for the first couple of days. Then slowly deteriorated into not working at all. I would think starting over and reinstalling from scratch would fix whatever might have changed, but no.

According to https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204388
8 channel 24 bit 192 kHZ should be supported via HDMI 1.4a ports on Apple devices.
(by the way this is LPCM)

The M1 Mac mini has HDMI 2.0.

However, from HDMI 1.4a to HDMI 2.0 the support is the same (8ch, 24bit 192 kHz LPCM).
Blu-ray and DSD support also didn’t change between those HDMI standards.

I sounds likely 192 kHz is available and something is wrong in the settings.

I’m pretty sure that there is something holding the connection and preventing an exclusive lock. Open Exclusive works for my Chord Mojo via USB so it’s something specific to the M1 HDMI.

As a long time .NET developer since the beginning, I think that roon has to get on the .NET 5 wagon, soon mono will be dead

Are you suggesting they stop supporting the Mac?