Roon on Mac running, but not playing music

I’m running Roon on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) with the latest OS. all files are local.

I can see that there a vast number of issues with Roon and I’ve tried to check that this is not already covered in another thread.

Regularly (every day) at some point when I do something like forward the track or stop the music and attempt to restart, Roon will not play the music. The track is selected, but the music will not play. I can interact with the server from remote devices or on the server, but it will not play music unless I restart the server - clearly not very practical to do this often.

Does anyone know of a fix to this? Many thanks in advance.

Neil

It looks like if I ungroup the zones and re-group them, it will play.

Hey @Neil_Brown1 - sorry for the trouble here.

What happens when you try to play? Does it appear to be loading? Is there an error?

Are you always playing to grouped zones when this happens? Are all the grouped zones available?

Hi Mike,

There is no error and the application doesn’t shut-down / crash. The track is selected, but it will not start. I can select another track (as many times as I like, including different formats (e.f. Mp3, AIFF…) but nothing works. I’m now experimenting with the Groups - it does appear to be related to the Groups of zones.

Yes all of the grouped zones appear as available and from what I can tell are working when I ungroup and play. I have 5 zones.

The fact that I have found a way to unlock the hangup without rebooting is a huge step forward, but obviously there is a problem somewhere.

Thanks, Neil

Thank you for the follow up and the insight, @Neil_Brown1!

Moving forward, I would like to enable diagnostics on your account as well as ask you for some further feedback so we can try to understand what could be causing this behavior when the zones are grouped together in your setup. Please see below.

Further Data Gathering:
Please provide the following details about the 5 active zones in your setup:

• The devices that makeup these 5 zones.

• A brief description of how these zones are communicating with Roon / your network.

Diagnostics:
As mentioned above I would like to enable diagnostics on your account but first would you kindly please perform the following:

• Please reproduce the issue when you have the mentioned zones grouped together.

“Regularly (every day) at some point when I do something like forward the track or stop the music and attempt to restart, Roon will not play the music. The track is selected, but the music will not play. I can interact with the server from remote devices or on the server, but it will not play music unless I restart the server”

• Note the time of day when the error occurs and the album/track that you attempted to play at the time of failure.

• Note the time of day when the zones are ungrouped, then re-grouped, and you are able to play without issue.

Once I have the above timeframes I will go ahead and enable diagnostics on your account as this action will automatically generate/upload a diagnostics report containing a set of Roon logs directly to our servers.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

The time of day doesn’t seem to be consistent as far as I can tell. I can tell you that the server has just ‘halted’ (about 17:48 GMT). 3 of the 5 zones are iQaudIO boxes, one is a HiFiBerry box and the final zone is the MacBook Pro (with attached Bose speakers) that is also the server.

The music has been playing ok all day, I recently added one IQAudio and the HiFiBerry and I had a problem. I’ve removed the HiFiBerry zone (around 17:55 GMT) from the group and it has started to play. Of course it might also have been that it I removed any other it would also have worked - don’t know.

Right now I will work on the basis that it is the inclusion of the HiFiBerry zone in the mix that is causing problems.

All the devices are wired - none are wireless.

I’ll let you know if I get any further insight. Let me know if you can see anything at your end.

Kind regards, Neil

Thanks for touching base with me @Neil_Brown1! My asking about the “time of day” was so we know when the issue occurred and less about a pattern of behavior. Having this detail helps expedite the log analysis process because we will have an idea “where to look” based on the provided time frame.

-Eric

Hi @Neil_Brown1 ----- Touching base to let you know we have received the mentioned diagnostics report and that I will be passing it over to our tech team for review.

In the meantime I wanted to see if things have improved here after updating to Build 298. We did some work on zone grouping in this latest release so I am curious to hear what the experience has been like thus far.

-Eric

Hi Eric, sorry to be out of touch for so long. All seems to be improved with the latest version of the software. I’m tending to not use all of the zones at once and of course that also might help. So far so good! Thanks.