After Roon updated on QNAP it no longer shows any album art

Hello, I’m not sure if this is where I should place this request for help, but here it goes … After recently upgrading to the latest version of Roon for QNAP Server (May 18, 2021) on my QNAP NAS, eventually everything went fine, except that I now no longer show any album art at all. This is true both on my MacBook Pro, and on all of my iOS devices.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Just chipping in here to ask, Have you rebooted everything again?

Thanks for your reply …

Do mean reboot Roon on my MacBook Pro & rebooting Roon NAS Server?

He means everything. The QNAP and all the other devices in the chain.

1 Like

Re start Roon or re start the NAS. That’s always the first port of call. Also, how much RAm has your NAS got available?

Hello, and thanks for the suggestions. I have restarted everything, first the NAS, then Roon Server on the NAS, then Roon on MacBook Pro, and Roon on iPad Pro, and still no album art. It was all there and running flawlessly prior to most recent upgrade. Now album art is missing.

Please advise. Thanks

Well, to make matters much worse, apparently Roon Server for NAS (QNAP) has allowed a ransomeware attack, and now most if not all of my files stored on my QNAP NAS have been encrypted! Even my latest backup of Roon Server for NAS has been encrypted. This explained why Roon has been acting so strange for the last couple of weeks.

Does anyone have any idea where I should begin to resolve this issue?

Do you have the Malware Remover app on your QNAP?

Are you sure the Roon app is to blame as there are other vulnerabilities in the QNAP system or just your own setup that could allow an attack in? To be honest I don’t think NAS drives are good for anyone without the knowledge to lock them down properly and so many are left wide open to the internet.
I do think if QNAP and other manufacturers are going to market these devices to the average computer user they need to make sure there is a easy mode to make them secure or simply block incoming access.

Question: Since the ransomeware attack, for some reason, didn’t encrypt FLAC files all my music survived. But Roon will not connect from my MacBook Pro, likely because the support files are all encrypted. Does this mean all of my meticulously curated playlists are lost (assuming I don’t pay the ransomeware fee, which I will not)?

I recently backup up Roon vital folders and files to my Mac, but now I see that backup was encrypted prior to my discovering I’d been attacked …

Wait … regarding my previous comment above, Roon now opens and my playlist do appear! While this is still available to me, what files/folders should I attempt to backup to protect my Playlist and personal settings?

Can anyone help me with this, while my Roon for Mac version is still able to work with my ransomware attacked QNAP NAS drive?

This information is stored in the Roon database, as such you should be using Roon to perform a Roon DB backup. A file system backup should not be relied upon, as the DB is constantly being updated by Roon.

That said, if the Roon Core is shutdown then the file system where the Roon DB is stored should be stable and in a consistent state … but it’s not the supported / recommend way.

Here’s the latest …

Even though I’ve suffered a ransomware attack, Roon NAS Server still works! And as of now I have found everything working In Roon as it was before, with the exception of my album art, which does not show for any of my albums.

Just for clarification, I embed my album art within each track, and since my FLAC tracks were, fortunately, not encrypted the album art was not damaged. However, it appears something did get damaged (encrypted) within Roon NAS Server which is now preventing it from displaying my embed art work.

Does anyone have any idea what part of Roon NAS Server might be causing this?

And more importantly, how to fix this?

Thanks for any assistance with this issue.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

Here is what I would try first, add a new CD to your system and see if adding a new CD also adds the artwork. I’d like to see if you are able to add new artwork or if you are still prevented from adding any artwork. That’s where I would start.

1 Like

I added an entirely new Album to Roon and did show the Album Artwork.

Then I tried replace all of the tracks for and existing album and the Album Artwork did not appear. I should restate that my Album Artwork is embedded within each of my .FLAC tracks. This has always worked over the past several year.

Does anyone have any suggestions in light of the results above?

Thanks

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Unfortunately, my ransomware attack happened clear back in May and I still have not been able to view my Album Art. Suggestion were previously made in this thread, but none of them have brought back my Album Art. I have thousands of tracks and have spent dozens and dozens of hours curating my Playlists, which I especially do not want to lose.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated …

Assumptions:
There is no way for a responsive app like Roon to go and look into all of your FLAC files first before showing you for example the album browser window. So what such an app does during import, besides other things of course, is to extract the album art and store/cache them in some way for easier/speedier access. What the ransomware did, besides other things of course, was encrypting these cached pictures. That’s why Roon no longer can display them - they are no longer valid picture files.

What may help:
Have you tried to force a rescan of your audio files (from Settings > Storage)?
Have you tried to force a rescan from the album or tracks browser (select all then choose edit)?

If none of the above steps work to replace the corrupted cached album art, then I fear that only Roon Labs staff is able to tell you if there is something you can do about it at all.

Update - on second thaught:
If any of the above mentioned methods works, this will replace only the album art for local files - streaming content, artist pictures, radio station logos, genre pictures and so on may stay unaffected (still encrypted).