Roon on ROCK crashes due to Linn devices with "CreateHandle: Assertion" error [Fixed in Roon build 1148]

In the past I’ve had some issues between Roon and Linn, although not crashes, but currently the interactions between my Roon cores and multiple Linn systems on two locations are as good as they’ve ever been, and in part that has been through simplifying the network connection between the cores and the Linn systems, to avoid problems like you described where switches and other network components do too-clever-by-half things with multicast and UDP.

I agree that a simple network might avoid connection problems between LINN and Roon.
To my opinion my actual problem and the problems between LINN an Roon for the last years are not related to the network, as

• the Roon server crashed as soon as I try to start a track, or
  • the Roon server crashes without any user interaction, e.g. it crashed last night:
    grafik
    it is Sunday, 11 am, therefore the crash resp. restart of Roon core occured at 4:30 am - I for sure was sleeping at that point in time …

Did you try to replace the switch by un unmanaged one? In my experience, doing what the Linn recommends has been a better use of time than trying to guess where a problem is.

I did not (yet); if Roon recommends that, I will do that, for sure

In the pastime Roon asked me

• to port the core to a different machine (moving it temporarily from QNAP to Windows) with reduced library size . didn’t fix the issue,
  • later run extensive tests on the QNAP - both HDs as well as momory - didn’t fix the issue,
  • then moved the core away from the QNAP to a NUC / Rock - didn’t …

I’ve discussed network switches at length with my Linn dealer, independently of Roon. He’s very particular about which switches he recommends for Linn setups, along similar lines to Linn’s recommendations but even more strict. He’s a former DSP/networking engineer who moved into to high-end audio installation, he knows his stuff. My take: Linn’s use of IP multicast and UDP tickles obscure bugs in switches and servers.

1 Like

mhm, you really got me thinking about that topic … my Fritz!Box has a small built in switch and with my small patch field at home it be done within 15 min to patch the streaner and the NAS directly into the router … I will give it a try …

Hi @fschmeis ,

I’ve merged your post into the existing thread so that we can have all the information in one place.

I’ve recently spoken to the team about this issue, and I wanted to touch base with some good news, which is that development work regarding this issue is in progress.

It looks like there have been code changes made to a developer build of Roon, and now these code changes need to pass QA testing, and then they will be published to the public Roon release.

We are getting close to addressing this issue, I know you have been patient during this time and we greatly appreciate it, we are almost there. Thank you!

2 Likes

Hello @noris , this sounds like good news … I really hope, that this jouney will have soon a good end …

1 Like

Hello @noris,

Roon 2.0 was released and I was 3 months patient, just had another crash - what is the status of this issue?

Cheers
Frank

Hi @fschmeis ,

Thanks for the ping here, I can certainly update you on the status. The fix I mentioned in my earlier post did not pass QA testing, simply put, it caused more problems than it solved, so we had to go back to the drawing board and dedicate more resources to this issue.

Since the fix did not pass initial QA testing, a deeper investigation was required, and this meant mailing a Linn device to our dev team so that they can test any changes made hands-on. I can confirm that a Linn device is now with one of our senior devs, and that we are working on this issue.

Once the fix has been reworked and thoroughly tested, we release it. I know you’ve been impacted by this issue for a long time, and we want to make sure we fix this issue thoroughly, not introduce more problems. Thank you for your patience.

Hello @noris ,

thank you very much for the fast reply; sometimes it works for some hours, sometimes even changing the level of the sound causes ROON to crash … this is really a nightmare … hopefully the sen dev can fix it soon …

Cheers
Frank

1 Like

Hello @noris ,

any news on this subject?

Cheers
Frank

Hello @fschmeis ,

I don’t want to declare victory just yet, but I do want to let you know that we have another fix in testing at the moment. We hope to have the update available to the general Roon user base as soon as possible.

Hello @noris ,

thx for coming back to my issue, that sounds good, I would be willing to do some beta-testing if needed resp. helpful.

Cheers
Frank

1 Like

Hey @fschmeis ,

We just released the fix live to everyone, please give it a try and hopefully, it helps resolve the issue on your end as well. Do let me know, thanks!

Hello @noris ,

Unbelieveable, IT seems to WORK!!!

Struggled nearly one year with the NUC and Roon in combination with LINN, before with Roon and NAS and Linn, a jounrey which started more than 4 years ago (refer to https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-stopping-randomly/49831/1= has ended today …

I enjoyed today music for 1,5 hours with build 1143 until the server crashed; Roon server never worked immedately after restart … but now: just upgraded to 1148 and: NO MORE CRASHES after restart :smile:

I somehow still can’t believe it :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

Hey @fschmeis ,

I am glad to hear of the improvement! I wanted to check in with you to see if the system is still holding up, is everything still working ok 2 days later?

I know you have been really patient while we worked on this, so I do want to thank you once more for your patience through the process!

Hopefully, things are still working great on your end and we can mark this one as solved, do let me know if this is the case, thanks!

Hello @noris ,

I still cannot believe it, in general it works :smiley: Just start the music and it plays and I can enjoy the music still feels very unusual … spent significant money during this journey (when Roon server was still running on my NAS I purchased a memory extension NAS + 8 Gbyte = 180 €, moving the server from NAS to NUC = 950 €), not to think of many many weeks of effort I spent (moving the server to a Windows mashine, moving the server to NUC, lots of debugging and appr. 200 E-Mails writing / reading … ).

The day after the upgrade of the Roon server, which was initiated by the iPAD, I did the upgrade of the Controller on my Windows Notebook, it caused the Roon server to crash (“something went wrong”), but my assumption is this crash was caused due to something else, means not the combination of Roon and LINN … so far I think the issue is solved and can be closed :+1:

Thanks for pushing this inside Roon over the last four years … :+1:

Cheers
Frank

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.