Roon on SonicTransporter suddenly won't access NAS [Solved - Mounted NAS by IP Address]

Hi, Roon’s automatic backups to my Sinology NAS had been working fine for as long as I remember but suddenly Roon just won’t see the backup directory on the NAS and for that matter, anything on the NAS.

I am running Roon on a Sonic Transporter with Version 2.7. Roon is the latest build 1.5 (build 354).

I have disconnected the cable from the ST and plugged a laptop and can access the NAS with no problems. The permissions on the NAS are the same, you need username and password. I have rebooted both the ST and the NAS to no avail.

Thanks.

Hello @Gustavo_Gabaldon,

Thanks for contacting support, I’d be happy to assist here. I have noticed that you are mounting your share via hostname and while that should work, mounting the share via IP address and reserving that IP address in the Router will be a more stable way of connecting. Please let me know if mounting that way helps resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi, I did just that but got an error. Am I doing something wrong?

Hello @Gustavo_Gabaldon,

When connecting with IP you have to start the network share location with smb://IP_ADDREESS/FOLDER_NAME.

You can read more regarding this setup in our Knowledge Base Article.

Thanks,
Noris

Hmm, I still get an error message:

This is the address from a Windows machine:

\GUSTAVOG-SYN\My Syn\Music\RoonBackups

Thanks.

Hello @Gustavo_Gabaldon,

Can you try to see if the share works without the folder name in it? Meaning just write smb://10.0.0.14/ for the network share location.

I would also try rebooting your NAS and router to see if the router has by any chance failed to assign the NAS a proper IP address or if there was some kind of IP conflict going on.

Are you able to ping the NAS by IP using Windows Command Prompt? Is SMB enabled for your NAS? You can use these instructions to verify this.

Please let me know your findings when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

I get Invalid Network Path

Done. Same problem.

Are you able to ping the NAS by IP using Windows Command Prompt? Is SMB enabled for your NAS? You can use these instructions to verify this.

Yes, I can access/ping the NAS from any of my machines. SMB is enabled, also max SMB is SMB3

Hello @Gustavo_Gabaldon,

Thank you for confirming that just the IP Address isn’t working either.

I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

After receiving the diagnostics, I will then start a case for you with our QA team to take a look at what could be going on here. I appreciate your patience while that occurs on our end and I will let you know their findings as soon as they conclude their report and pass it back to me.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks Noris! Let me know when you find something.

1 Like

Hello @Gustavo_Gabaldon,

I have just received the report back from QA and they have noticed signs of network instability. Specifically, there are some Name Resolution Failures present and the connection to RoonServer is failing as well at times. This could be a cause for the behavior you’re seeing or it could be something else.

Can you please let me know the model/manufacturer of your router, model/manufacturer of any switches, range extenders, powerline adapters, ect?

To resolve the Name Resolution Failures, I suggest updating your router’s DNS settings to Google’s DNS using these instructions:

To do this step you have to access your Router’s config page. For example, if you are using a TP-Link router, you can use instructions similar to this video:

I would try using 8.8.8.8 as your primary DNS and 8.8.4.4. as your secondary DNS as per Google’s DNS Config Article.

As for the main issue at hand, Roon is showing the error

10/22 11:08:44 Debug: [roon/cifs] returned 32: mount error(2): No such file or directory when attempting to mount //10.0.0.14/My Syn

Does this folder still exist on the NAS and you have posted it correctly? The folder name may be case-sensitive so I would double check.

Also, do you have Windows File Service enabled on the Synology NAS? I have seen a report where enabling this setting helped.

Please let me know if any of my above suggestions help here.

Thanks,
Noris

A space " " in the share name might also be an issue

Hello Noris,

The router already had the Google DNSs. I enabled Windows services on the NAS. I also reserved an IP for the NAS on the router si it would be always the same.

Now it does work but only specifying the IP. Using the name will not do. But backups are on again.

Thanks a lot for your time.

1 Like

Hello @Gustavo_Gabaldon,

Glad to hear that mounting the NAS by IP address & enabling Windows Services has resolved this issue! Using the NAS IP address will be a more stable way of mounting it an preventing any hostname discovery issues, so if it’s working with IP I would recommend leaving it as so.

Thanks,
Noris

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.