Roon on Synology - Cannot connect after 1.7 update

Synology 918+ with latest DSM and updates)
All worked well until roon 1.7 update

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Cabled 1gbit network to Mac OS Catalina client, iPad/roon wirelessly connected.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Not applicable

Description Of Issue

Syno has been happily running the roon service and hosting music on my father’s network. Until the 1.7 update, that is. Now, the client trying to connect to Roon on the Syno just spins endlessly wen starting up.

For kicks, I tried sstopping roon on the syno, erasing the contents of the roon folder and installing the latest available apk from Mr Rieke. Then, when starting the client, I can see the Roon Core on Synology, and when choosing it I can authenticate. Then it just stands there spinning indefinitely.
So no luck… All suggestions are welcome.

PS: Although its settings haven’t changed, I tried disabling the firewall entirely on the syno, but this made no difference…

Hi @oafrenning,

What is your network setup like, can you let me know model/manufacturers of all your networking gear?
I kindly also request that you upload a set of your Roon logs here, you can use these instructions to access them, afterwards please upload to Dropbox/Google Drive and post a link here. Thanks.

It’s fairly straighforward: A syno ds918+ cabled to an Asus RT-AC68 router. An iMac is on the same network and used as a client, and there are various ipads used for roon remote.

Everything worked prior to 1.7 update, and I’ve found the issue to be on the local network: I opted to use the iMac as the roon core instead, but even there I had the same issue logging on and activating roon. So I swapped the Mac to my mobile 4g connection rather than using the internal network, and it activated and started immediately. So it would seem that the router is blocking traffic somehow, although this was not an issue in the previous version of Roon.

Just thought I’d let you know I managed to find a workaround, although I’m nowhere nearer finding the culprit. If it helps, I can try to get an extract of the roon logs the next time I’m over at dad’s place.

Try changing the DNS entries to or That might help.

That’s a good idea - will give it a go and report back.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.