Roon on Synology NAS RS1619xs+ // Performance and experience so far

Hello together,

I use now for 1 month the RoonServer on NAS. with my Synology RS1619xs+. The CPU power is better as the MAC mini 2014 I used before. In general it is integrating fine now and overall performance is indeed better.

My setup:

• RS1619xs+ with Intel Xeon D-1527, 2GB SSD Cache
  • no additional SSD for Roon database! (tested it, but the performance was not as good as w/o!). It seems to me the NAS is providing roon everything from SSD cache anyway for reading and writing.
  • about 100000 music files to index

On the upside:

• quicker than before
  • stable
  • with VPN roon is also accessible from outside for endpoints if external access mechanisms are activated on NAS.

On the downside:

• indexing of large folders still need some tinkering and hacks with scheduled scripts (inotify). But it works.
  • complex DSP jobs (e.g. downsampling DSD 512 to 265 with some filter) have unsatisfying performance! Even though CPU workload is < 15% it is not up to the job. All usage key figures remain below 20%. It seems the roon server is simply not able to use the resources available. (this feature I don’t use - it was only for testing).

Many thanks to Christopher Rieke for his excellent job in providing a NAS solution!

I hope there will be regular updates and Christopher receives donations for this.

Cheers
Ronny

1 Like

when you say Roon is accesible from outside… Do you have by any chance an iphone?

The only reason I use @plex_plex . I used to use it for films but eventually gave up, but for music still really worth it!

…Until, of course I can start using roon :slight_smile:

I tested it with iPhone, MAC and iPad.

The Xeon is weak on single core performance, which is what roon needs 56% of a 8i3.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. My i5 MacMini has similar single core performance and does it with 2x speed and the XEON with only 0,8 which is not enough obviously. As I don’t use that yet it hurts not.

In what way was roon faster using SSD NVMe cache instead of directly on the SSD? This seems too good to be true! Would love more explanation around this. I currently have Roon on a dedicated SSD in my synology ds918+ and have been considering replacing the SSD with another HDD for space + 2x 500GB Cache NVMe disks to run roon instead.

Based on your subjective feedback, it sounds like Roon would run better with this setup than directly on an SSD! Is this correct based on what you said?

I’d say if you manage to get the database to your SSD (internal not USB) then this is the first choice. Otherwise it is more than fast enough if not while using SSD cache on DSM. As for the library (music files) there is no need at all to put it on a SSD.