Roon on the go - make it work on the road!

I would be happy just accessing my Tidal playlists remotely (still streaming as usual). This would be a great benefit and is pretty low tech.

Take off ankle chains and let Roon out of the house.

2 Likes

Sadly, it’s the one great functionality that Roon is still missing. It is almost 2019 btw…

hey and here I thought I was the only Roon user who listened to music away from home :stuck_out_tongue:

look how many of us there are!!

1 Like

As soon as Roon offers a mobile streaming solution I’ll become a lifetime member. Right now it’s not as useful to me as 90% of my music listening is at work or on the go.

2 Likes

I posted this ealier today, maybe interesting for those of us keen to have a mobile solution…

1 Like

I’ll get on board with Roon, when I can get my tunes on the go. Lossless, or lossy, whatever. Thanks!

1 Like

Does anyone know if a Roon solution for mobile is in the works?
I’m getting tired of having two separate playlists for home (on Roon) and mobile (on Spotify).

The mobile songs don’t need to be lossless, just sync playlists and tags from Roon core.

Try having a look at Subsonic

http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp

Interesting. A pity it doesn’t support streaming services, unless I’m mistaken.

Same here! I’ve been using SONOS for home and Ipod/Itunes on the go. This works ok for me but it’s pretty frustrating for my artist wife. I’ve only been using Roon for an hour and I am impressed how quickly it assimilated my music and made it available. It’s great … but … not being able to play locally means that I am still stuck with a 2-app solution.

I’m unclear as to the IP/Port to type in when adding a SubSonic server to the app - obviously this can’t be the 192.168.1.xxx IP if I want to access the music from the outside WAN.

I use VPN to home network and it works fine.

That’s not really how subsonic is going to work. It’s not an app you add to a Roon Core. It’s a whole separate deal. You can point it at your library, and it’ll do a stellar job of streaming your music to you - but setup amd use is totally outside of Roon.

„…since 5 years“ - just to complete that reply.

VPN would be ok, if there would be simple solution and not that „20-steps-until-you-get-there“ install monster.

A working VPN solution is highly dependent on platforms/OSs, topologies (where the core runs) and network architecture (routers, subnets, etc.) that different people have. Which is why these forums are full of “it works great” and “but it doesn’t work for me” posts :slight_smile:

Personally I’ve been mucking with it for a while and still haven’t been able to make Roon on my iPhone see the core through VPN…

1 Like

Tell us more please :slight_smile: Some of us are still trying hard to make it work…

1 Like

Roon recommends ROCK. I run on ROCK. So they should provide a simple VPN tool. In fact it should be part of RoonOS.

Those not running core on the recommended platform? Tough luck. They have to fiddle.

Wow. Hard to answer. Multitude of possibilities how to do it. This is not exactly smallnetbuilder.com forum but as good starting point: it mostly depends on your edge router/firewall.
Some of routers have VPN built in, some not but you can NAT forward some ports and run VPN on dedicated network device like raspi etc.
It really depends on your network topology/hardware, if you have public and static IP addresses etc. Impossible to give universal advice or click’n’go how-to.
Maybe just one advice: any VPN type you will use, don’t forget to export subnet where Roon core sits. Or make static routes. You will have different subnets for VPN and primary LAN.

Sorry guys I would be pleased to help more but… Try to sniff something on some networking forums.

In my case I have OpenVPN, strongSwan (IPsec) and L2TP/IPsec tunnels configured to be able to connect from any client and any OS/platform. I run custom made linux firewall (screwed on wall in technical room :rofl:) on old PC x86_64 motherboard which is powerful enough to do everything (even to run Roon core directly on it :wink: )

Just for fun see small portion of my home topology.