Roon Optimized Core Kit (previously reported as Roon OS)

No idea if the drivers will work for that… I have some docs for partners, but need to write up something for the public.

LOL, I have no shortage of various hardwares to guinea pig.

Well, damn. :slight_smile: I have a 250 SSD in my NUC.

Damn again. LOL I put an internal HD in my NUC. :slight_smile:

I have a NUC Skull Canyon i7 that I’d be glad to test…:slight_smile:

This could be interesting to try out.

1 Like

Thanks very much for developing the OS for public release.

What SSD would you recommend at this point? The smallest Samsung Evo and Pro models now available are 250 and 256 GB, respectively.

Will Roon OS on a 128 GB SSD be a better option than Linux on a 256 GB 950 Pro?

That’s comparing apples to oranges…

Roon OS will be very locked down and limited, but it will be turn key.

DIY Linux will be fully flexible for whatever you want, but you have to maintain it yourself.

Thanks. I meant which will be best for the speed of Roon only. I understand that Roon OS will not have the flexibility of Linux.

Elsewhere you’ve mentioned that disk I/O speed is one of the most important performance measurements for Roon.

the 950 pro will be a faster ssd, and im working on getting roon os to support larger SSDs… I fear that 128gb might be hard to find in a year or two.

I just want to make sure people don’t buy large SSDs and expect to be able to use them for content. This SSD is only for OS + Roon DBs. No content.

Good news re larger SSDs. What about content storage on an internal HD

Can you give us some more details about what ROON OS will accomplish? Does it dispense with, for example, another OS like Windows 10 or Linux? Is it a ROON server substitute? Etc.

It will be an operating system based on Linux that takes over your machine, and tunes it for running Roon and nothing else. It will auto-update and have a web configuration UI as well. The idea is that post-install, it is turnkey.

2 Likes

That’s brilliant. I’m personally looking forward to this. Will make a separate OS like Windows 10 (in my case) redundant.
=> I notice the NUC6 has internal SATA3 support for a 2.5 inch drive, which I assume is faster than the USB ports available for external storage.
=> It might be a good idea to release a Quick Setup Guide and perhaps some User Instructions on-line when the OS is available. It’ll save you a lot of hassles with customer email and stuff like that. People like me are likely to get stumped on how to copy files to a Linux computer. Basic stuff in addition to the more complicated stuff like rescanning the database, etc.
Cheers.

I am very excited about this, along with the possibility of Roon Core only devices built by partners. I’m wondering, in either of these scenarios (DIY Roon OS device, or dedicated hardware), I would not be able to run HQPlayer on the same device? I realize that Roon can connect to a networked HQPlayer and they don’t have to run on the same computer, but it somewhat seems to defeat the purpose of having a dedicated Roon device if I still have to have a computer running to use HQPlayer. Are there any dedicated devices for running HQPlayer, and are they headless? Is something like this possible with HQPlayer embedded that would still allow Roon integration?

depends on the vendor and the machine… for example, these guys are shipping a product right now that is a Roon Core + HQPlayer. It’s an awesome beast of a box that spares no expense.

1 Like

Holy cow – that’s a monster!

Still no comparison to my pimped up Pi though… :wink:

3 Likes

Very interesting, thanks.

I’m very interested in this Roon OS. I used to have roon server on a QNAP TS251+ with a virtual machine (Fedora) and few months ago i invested in a Brix computer (GB-BSi7HT-6500). This computer with a M2 SSD of 512Go and 32Go of ram is fully dedicated to roon server working on a Fedora 24 server “optimized”.
I would be happy to install Roon OS on a second SSD that could be put in the Brix and understand if there is some differences between Roon OS and Roon Server on Fedora.

When should we be able to see this Roon OS released ?

This thread seems to have to come to a dead stop. Wondering how things are on the ROON OS front and what sort of general interest there is in this development.