Client iMac Pro with macOS Monterey 12.3.1

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet with HP switch 1810-24G

Connected Audio Devices

USB with the iMac Pro with a CHORD DAC and headphones amplifier

Number of Tracks in Library

more than 1,000,000 tracks in the QNAP NAS

Description of Issue

Since a couple of days I’ve found that some tracks were moved in a different folder named “Music” that was not created by myself, the Music (Apple) software could not find and play the files because were moved from the original position but Roon can play it but shows a “duplicate” cover because track is not in the original folder. Is any issue moving the database from the old NAS to this new one ? In this respect something went wrong 8 weeks ago moving the database from the old Nas and I started recreating one , but Roon is still analyzing all the files (huge library with more than 1 million tracks) and seems to take longer …but a part from this everything was playing fine with iMac Pro or with my Hegel 190 in my larger setup. Any idea of what’s happening ?

Hi @Paolo_Vicentini,

Welcome to Roon Community! Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

It’s possible that you have multiple watched folders enabled after moving your library to a new server. If you navigate to Settings → Storage in Roon, are you able to provide a screenshot of the settings you see? We’ll start troubleshooting there.

Regarding your question about migrating between servers, you can find best practices for moving your database to a new NAS in this Knowledge Base article.

Dear Connor, thanks fro the mail,
Her you can find the picture of the settings-storage, the pc always worked fine until few days ago ………but I suspect that there could be problems (maybe) between the iMac with the Qnap Nas (that was always updated with new releases of firmware) because I noticed yesterday that when I try to delete some files from the iMac it appears a message that says that the operation is not possible because the files are in “use” or I have not the permission for that (this happens only with some files in a random way….because in some cases I can delete them), if I delete the files from Roon it works and files are effectively deleted from the NAS (this is also a strange thing). Last thing: I noticed the seems that some files are moved inside the folder iTunes in the NAS (I called in this way the folder containing all the music) in a folder called Music inside the iTunes-Nas, and from few files is increasingly to many more day after day (just to describe it moves not the complete album but maybe only one or two songs of some albums and in some cases it sends in an album songs from a different album ……this is creating a mess in the database ………
Thanks a lot for your help,

Paolo Vicentini

Hi @Paolo_Vicentini,

I’m incredibly sorry for the delay in responding to you on this issue. I appreciate you sending the screenshot.

It’s likely Roon was scanning these files on your Core device while you attempted to access the shared folder, if you were deleting files from the folder you’ve set as your watched folder in Roon (per your above screenshot). Is this folder also set as the iTunes/Apple Music media folder location?

As an aside, you can try a database reset if you think there’s something that went astray migrating to your new Core. Here are steps you can follow:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

I’ll keep an eye out for your response.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.