Roon Core Machine

MacOS 12.4, M1, 16 GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Steaming from Mac to Airplay speakers, ethernet connection to Asus Router

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Airplay to Riva Speakers

Having problems with playlists that include songs on Tidal and on local Roon library. It seems when the source changes Roon pauses. Once I hit he pause button things carry on until the next snag. I’m not sure what may be causing the issue if it’s a change in the format, sample rate, source, etc.

I’ve looked for similar topics and couldn’t find anything that seemed to be the same but apologize if I missed a post with the same issue.

Hey @mwb6,

Thanks for taking the time to write in, it’s great to see you on the community again! I’m sorry to hear you’re running into an issue with Roon pausing.

As a first test, can you try streaming to another audio device to see if this behavior is repeated? Do you have anything connected directly to your core you can use to test playback? Or maybe attempt to play to one of your Remote devices? Using the system output on your Mac could work as well.

Please let us know what you encounter with this test, we’ll be watching for your reply. :+1:

Ben,

Thanks for your message.

I tried the test you suggested and the core did NOT pause at all. I used several different playlists that had a combination of local and Tidal tracks and they played without incident for several hours.

Does this indicate that it’s an Airplay issue? And if so, any ideas how to address it.

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.
Regards,
Mark

Hey @mwb6,

Thanks for letting me know! This does sound like it could definitely be an issue with the airplay connection from your core to your endpoints.

The first thing to double-check would be if there is a firmware update available. Certain devices (particularly those that predate 2011) may be using older versions of Airplay, so it’s worth looking into updated firmware if it’s available.

I’m also curious if you’ve paired both speakers into the same zone? If possible, are you able to send over a screenshot of your signal path when playing a song over airplay to your Riva speakers?

We have seen others switch from using airplay to using the built-in Google Chromecast protocol that certain Riva speakers have. If your speakers have this, here is a breakdown on how to set this up:

To make it work, you need to disable MQA via Settings>Audio>Device Setup>SHOW ADVANCED then set “Enable MQA Core Decoder” to “No.”

From there, set your RIVA speakers to a Google Home group and do the same thing. Then select the Google Home group as output to make them play.

Let me know your thoughts :pray:

Well I can’t get a response from Riva about the most current version of the firmware. My speakers show a version number greater than the one listed on their site as ‘current.’

I’ve acted on your suggestion to move off of airplay to Chromecast and I am not experiencing the problem when using Chromecast. So - for now, I will stay there.

Thanks for your help this was driving me nuts.
Regards,
Mark

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.