Roon Performance Issues

I’m also experiencing this issue.
I’m running:

• 15" Macbook Pro with 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB
  • MacOS Catalina 10.15.3

This computer is not running Roon core. I’m not having any issues with other devices running Roon (ie. Roon Rock, iPhone).
This is before opening Roon:

Then immediately after opening Roon:

and then once starting to play music via Roon:

I can’t personally see anything all that problematic here, but it is affecting the computer’s performance dramatically.

Even typing this message the text lags by a good 3-4 seconds. Everything resumes to normal immediately once I quite Roon.

Hi @Rowan_Chase,

Welcome to the forum, I have split your post into it’s own thread so I can better assist you here.

The screenshots don’t indicate any issues in particular, both CPU and GPU look to be at acceptable values.

You’re saying that typing the text outside of Roon (for example in Chrome) is lagging? Is the behavior the same if you reinstall Roon?

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder

Hi Noris,

Yes that’s correct, the text was lagging in Chrome. The UI, regardless of application (including OS, finder and activity monitor), begins to lag.

I had already tried uninstalling and re-installing as you suggested prior to posting, with no effect. Restarting the computer has also had no effect.

This has only been an issue recently, in perhaps the last week or so. Previous to that I was having no issues at all running Roon on this computer. I was suspecting that a Software Update may be the culprit, however there doesn’t look to be anything suspicious in my install history for the last month.

I do notice there is a new OSX Catalina update available, which I will install just in case, but there’s no mention of any performance fixes.

Hi @Rowan_Chase,

Does the same behavior occur when Roon is not maximized (as in running in Windowed Mode)?

Hi Noris,

Running in windowed mode is a significant improvement. It still feels like there’s a hit to performance, but it is far less noticeable.

To qualify slightly, while in full-screen mode typing this text lags, in windowed mode the text does not lag, but scrolling this page is still jumpy. Quitting Roon entirely and scrolling this page is perfectly responsive as usual.

Hi @Rowan_Chase,

Thanks for confirming that the issue is a bit less visible when in windowed mode. Can you please send me a copy of your Roon logs when you’re in this state?

You can access them by using these instructions and the best way to get them over would be via a shared Dropbox / Google Drive link, but if you don’t have either service just let me know and I can provide alternate upload instructions.

Thanks Noris,

Here’s the logs. I opened, searched and played some music via Roon in windowed mode just now (~11:40am Monday Melbourne/Australia time).

Rowan.

Hi Noris,

Just checking that the logs I’ve posted above are what you needed?

Rowan.

Hi @Rowan_Chase,

Thanks for sending those logs over. I am not seeing much clues as to why the issue is occurring in them, but they will be good to have regardless in case QA wishes to take a closer look after further troubleshooting.

We released a new update to Roon today, can I please ask that you update your Core and Remotes and let me know if it changes anything with regard to the original issue?

Hi Noris,

I’ve updated everything and all issues have disappeared. My computer is running perfectly with Roon in both windowed and full screen mode!

Thanks for the help, this is a great outcome.

Regards,
Rowan.

1 Like

Hi @Rowan_Chase,

That’s fantastic news, glad to hear the update helped! If you have further issues, please do feel free to reach out again. Until next time, take care!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.