Roon picks the wrong Bill Evans :)

Not that it’s Roon’s fault that there are 2 Bill Evans, one piano, and the other sax. Roon puts the pianists’s picture and bio on top of the saxophonist’s CDs. It finds the pianist if it is told to look for Bill Evans Trio.

I’m not sure if this can be fixed, but if so, I would suggest that it would come out with Bill Evans (sax) and Bill Evans (piano) when doing the searches, and catalog these accordingly.

1 Like

Hi @Cemil. Which CDs and are they local content or TIDAL? Thanks.

Both.

In Tidal it even picks up one of the pianist’s albums and sticks it in with the saxist’s output.

Well at least the two jazz musicians aren’t being lumped in with Bill Evans the banjoist. His bio shows correctly in Roon when you select performers under the pianist when searching for Bill Evans.

There are a ton of “Bill Evans” and we already have edits in place. If you can give me some specific examples, I can look at our database and try and see what is happening. Unfortunately though, when the TIDAL metadata are wrong, it’s really difficult to unpick.

So if I search for Bill Evans and click on the result, under Top Result, I get the picture of the pianist with text starting " No relation to the other Bill Evans, this saxophonist etc…"

The records listed are all the Bill Evans saxophonist records (Summertime, Push, Let the juice Loose, Soul Bop Live etc…)

If I click on Bill Evans under Library Artists, again I get basically the pianist picture and a different bio for him (also correct), then I get a bunch of the pianists records listed (Waltz for Debbie, Sunday Night at the VV, How my Heart sings etc…) but also Touch which belongs to the saxophone Bill Evans.

If I just scroll down form the original search screen to Library Albums, I get a mix of albums form both Bill Evans’es

Here’s another example:

RoonShareImage-636722076536312420

When I click on that Bill Evans in this Album’s credits:

Thanks for the report, @soundserge!

I have reached out to our metadata provider and requested they make a change here. I’ll keep you updated once we hear from them.

Thanks,
Dylan

Hey @soundserge,

Our metadata provider has let us know that they have corrected this today. Please give this about a week to be reflected within Roon. Once you see the change on your end please mark this post as the solution.

Thanks again for your report!

-Dylan

Almost fixed. Steppin’ Out by Steps Ahead now lists two Bill Evans. The sax player and the pianist who is no longer with us.

I think Bill Evans the pianist is still credited because he’s incorrectly listed as a compose on the track Sara’s Touch:

The metadata on that track is a mess:

1. It lists Andy Hunter, referring to an electronic music artist from the Midlands. This could be because there’s a different Andy Hunter on Tombone.
  2. It lists Bill Evans the pianist
  3. It lists “Mike Maineri” which should be Mike Mainieri. As far as I know, he’s the only composer of this song.

A post was split to a new topic: Wrong Bill Evans on this album