Roon Playback Errors on Remote Devices (ref#GI7G20)

Is Roon Server running?

· Yes, Roon Server is turned on and running.

What do you see on your screen?

· I see something else

When you try to connect, what screen do you see?

· I see something else

Please try to restart your Roon Server by closing the Roon app in the taskbar or rebooting your Roon Server machine.

· No, the issue remains the same

Please try to restart your network setup by unplugging, waiting 30 seconds and then replugging in your networking gear.

· No, the issue remains the same

Please select how you've connected your Roon Server to the internet

· Roon Server is connected by *Ethernet*

Have you checked your firewall settings to ensure that Roon is allowed through?

· Roon still won't connect even after checking this aspect

Have you verified that Roon Server is on the same subnet as your Remotes?

· My Remotes and Server are on the same subnet and I still can't connect

Sometimes the issues can be resolved with a reinstall of your Roon Remote app. Let's try to perform a reinstall and see if it helps.

· I've reinstalled the Roon Remote but it did not help

What is the operating system of your Roon Server host machine?

· *Roon Optimized Core Kit* (ROCK)

Select any of the following components that are present in your local network setup

· None of the above

Describe the issue

Roon has been working for years. But it stopped working on all remotes (iOS, macOS) a few weeks ago. I cannot even play back music stored locally. It will show me two error messages: "Playback was interrupted because a track failed to load." and "Too many failures. Stopping playback.". After a while, it will show a screen asking me to login Roon again.

Describe your network setup

I have ubiquiti network router and ubiquiti wifi (4 APs). the Roon server is on a dedicated ROCK computer connected to the router via Ethernet. Remotes are connected over WiFi

In principle, this setup should be optimal (as you know), so I would start looking at your system (including the network) for recent changes that may have caused the issue or device/cable cable failures.

Have you looked at your signal path in Roon when the problem occurs? If the processing speed indicated is low (say less than 1.3), then the Roon Server can not keep up with the workload. It may be that a DSP/MUSE settings change has imposed too bit a load on the system. Alternatively, if no such changes have been made recently, it may be due to the thermal throttling. Have you checked your ROCK server to ensure that it is adequately cooled (all heatsinks and ventilation grills are clear of dust, fans, if present, are working). If your ROCK server is getting hot, it may be throttling itself to the point that it can’t keep up with the work load.

Do you have music stored locally on the Roon Server (internal storage or USB connected storage)? If you do, does playing locally stored music to your normal endpoint/zone exhibit the fault. If so, then it is likely to be the network connection from the Roon Server to the zone. This alone does not tell you much.

Do you have an endpoint hosted by your ROCK (USB or HDMI), if so, does that work without issue (particularly when playing music stored on the Roon Server). If so, it is likely that the issue with your other endpoint/zones is with the network connection to the Roon Server.

If, on the other hand, the fault still exhibits itself when playing local music to USB/HDMI connected zone, then the server itself would appear to be the issue. However, other than the thermal throttling issue alluded to above, it is not obvious how a failing ROCK system could cause this kind of issue.

If you conclude that the problem lies with the network connections to the Roon server or the endpoint/zone devices, then you will have to go through your system systematically do determine where the fault lies.

The easiest way to do this is to pare your system back to the bare essentials (The server and a single network attached endpoint/zone connected to your router). You may have to physically move things around to do this, or you might have a long ethernet cable that you can temporarily use to connect the endpoint directly to the router. If that fixes the issue, then systematically add each element of your original system back one at a time and test to see if the issue is still resolved or if it has come back. If the issue comes back, the last added part of the system is likely the cause of the system. If possible, use the long ethernet cable to elliminate WiFi to endpoints zones. If an endpoint zone works with an ethernet cable but doesn’t work reliably with WiFi, then the WiFi is the likely the issue. It may be that your environment has changed to suddenly make Wifi less reliable - maybe a neighbour has recently started using the same Wifi channel and the increased RF noise that results is interfering with your WiFi.

If you perform the above procedure and everything now works without issue, then it is likely that it was fixed by simply reseating network cable connections. Alternatively, it could be that your router or one of any switches in your network has a failing port and you have accidentally changed the port use to avoid that port (at least for the devices involved in your Roon setup).

Wade,

Thank you for providing the detailed debugging steps. I tried to install Roon Core on my MacBook to isolate the issue but accidentally replaced my Roon remote. Strangely, this resolved the problem, and I can now use the Roon remote again. Interestingly, the Roon remote on my iPhone is also functioning properly. The only other change I made was enabling IGMP Snooping on my Ubiquiti router, which I suspect may be the culprit.

Once again, thank you for your generous help.

Haihao

1 Like

I think that you are right. This may well be the significant change.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.