Roon playback frequently stops mid-track

Roon Core Machine

Taiko Extreme Music Server hardware with Google Pixel 6 phone and sometimes 10inch Amazon Kindle tablet. Roon is on the second latest version, 970 which I want to stick with for now.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

TP-Link AC1750 Archer router with LPSU, connected via Final Touch Audio Metis LAN cable to server. Server connected via Final Touch Audio SiNOPE USB cable to DAC.

Connected Audio Devices

Lampizator Horizon DAC via USB

Number of Tracks in Library

0 local tracks, Qobuz streaming source only

Description of Issue

Roon playback stops random mid-track using streaming source. When playback stops and you try to resume playback, it either freezes up or starts the song over. If I click next after a freeze, sometimes the next track plays well, sometimes it loses sync, sometimes the next track plays without any issues, and sometimes, the next track will stop 45 seconds in.

This issue was already present with a previous Roon software version, it seemed to have been fixed after the recent update to 970, but soon, the issues recurred.

I tried to replicate the issue on another Extreme server in another setup using the same FTA USB cable and Ethernet cable and also with an older Roon build (952) but so far, this works entirely stably.

The Log is made available via WeTransfer: WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free

Christaan, behavior similar to this tends to be (but not always) related to network issues. Can you provide any more information on your TP-Link router, such as the model number? You don’t mention on which devices the music stops mid-track, so it is difficult to try to isolate this as a potential Ethernet wired network issue or something to do with your WiFi network.

One other item possibly to check is to replace your FTA Metis cable with a standard Cat 5 or Cat 6 Ethernet cable. Some of the higher-end cables use various types of shielding or non-standard Ethernet transmission approaches that sometimes (again not always) introduces ground loops or other issues with the connection. As the Metis cable does not have a lot of information published by Final Touch, this may be another variable to eliminate.

Hi Robert, thanks for your response, I’m troubleshooting this issue on behalf of another user. The device with which this issue occurs is the Lampizator Horizon DAC.

Good point about cable compatibility, I’ve encountered this with two different high-end USB cables in the past. The Sinope USB cable is not likely the culprit as I also have it myself and I have had no issues with it. The Metis Ethernet cable, however, will be good to test versus a standard cable, if only so that it can be ruled out.

I have requested the switch model number and will add it as soon as I receive the info.

1 Like

Christaan, I look forward to what you find.

Hey @Christiaan,

Ben here with the support team, thanks for taking the time to write in! Since a week has passed since your initial post, I wanted to check in to see if you’re still running into playback issues?

If you are still running into issues, please share a timestamp (date and time) of when a track stops.

I’ll also follow up via PM for additional information.

Hi Ben, Alas, the issues persisted. We could not trace it to the Ethernet cable, USB Cable, or Router. The client has switched to another server/player method (not Roon) which so far seems stable.

Hey @Christiaan,

Thanks for the update. Certainly, let us know if the user has an interest in picking Roon back up, we’d be happy to help get them back up to speed.

-Ben

1 Like

Thanks, Benjamin, will do!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.