Roon playback status skipping ahead when using Sonos Streaming

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10
Roon Core v 1.7 (build 537) stable
It’s a relatively old machine i’m using (Intel i5-750, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD) while i’m still trialing this service.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Core is connected using Ethernet to my Ubiquiti Unifi USG.
Sonos is connected using Wi-Fi to a Ubiquiti Unifi AP.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Audio devices without any problems i won’t mention. The device giving issues is a Sonos One SL.

Description Of Issue

So, to start, this issue only occurs when connected to the Sonos using the Sonos Streaming option. When i play music using the Airplay option, it’s running fine. It’s also running fine when playing to an audio device directly connected to the core.

When i play some musing using Sonos Streaming, randomly the playback status reported by Roon starts getting out of sync with the music actually being played. Up to the point where Roon is a track ahead of the Sonos. This is not a client/remote issue, because Roon on my MacBook is reporting the same track as Roon on my iPhone.
I have no idea where this is coming from, and because i’m not constantly paying attention to the track being reported in Roon, i have no idea after exactly how many tracks it starts getting out of sync.
I did notice Roon itself suddenly started increasing playback speed. So the timestamp in the bottom left of roon started counting faster. I suppose this is related.

Hi @Robin.S,

Welcome to the forum. Next time this occurs can you please provide the following info?

1. The exact local time + date of the issue’s occurrence
  2. The track that Roon shows is playing
  3. The name of the track that’s actually playing

Also, have you confirmed that the Sonos is up-to-date on latest firmware? Do you have any othre Sonos zones in your setup that are not exhibiting this issue?

@noris Thanks for your reply.

It just happened again. Current time: May 8 2020, 14:40 (CEST)
Actually Playing: Breakage - Over (around 1 minute into the track)
Displayed as playing: Breakage - Higher (at 3:37)

While i’m writing this, it’s 14:42 and it is now two tracks ahead; It’s showing Breakage - Foundation but it’s actually still playing Breakage - Over.

Watching the timestamp of the player is interesting, because it is skipping seconds ahead like time is running faster.

The Sonos is up-to-date. System version is 11.1 (build 56076060). I will have to check the other Sonos i have, but i don’t use that one very often.

1 Like

Hi @Robin.S,

Thanks for providing the timestamp info! I have enabled diagnostics mode for your Core and what this action does is automatically upload a log-set to our servers for analysis, and I can confirm that these logs have been received and passed to the technical team for closer inspection.

While we await further feedback from the technical team, can you please let me know if the other Sonos zone you have is also affected by this behavior? Thanks!

Hi @Robin.S,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue further. The current logs don’t provide much clues, so we have gone ahead and activated a deeper diagnostics mode for your account which focuses on Sonos communication.

Can I please ask that you reproduce the issue once more, note the timestamps as you have previously done and then manually send us a set of your logs by using these instructions? Once I have this new set I can request the tech team to review the logs for further clues into this behavior.

Thanks!

Hi @noris,

The logs have been uploaded to my Dropbox and can be found here; https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfdc3j5og9clseu/RobinVanSchuilenburg.zip?dl=0

I have three more occurrences to report that should hopefully be visible in the logs;

First one: (18 May 2020, 10:38 CEST).
Song being displayed as “now playing”: Miami Nights 1984 - The Getaway
Song actually playing on the sonos: Miami Nights 1984 - Clutch

Another album: 18 May 2020 11:34 CEST
Song displayed as now playing: Gunship - Shadow Fury
Actually playing: Gunship - Tech Noir

Another album: 18 May 2020, 13:17 CEST
Song displayed as now playing: Limp Bizkit - Break Stuff
Song actually playing: Limp Bizkit - Nookie

This one happened while i happened to have the client open, and i noticed the song “nookie” it displayed the song playing in super speed, so it skipped through the entire 4 minutes in a matter of seconds. Then it went to the next song in the album “Break Stuff” and it also skipped fast ahead until about halfway through.

Oddly enough both songs played fine on the sonos itself (no skipping or anything like that) so it’s really only the status being reported that’s off.

1 Like

Hi @Robin.S,

Thanks for sending these logs over, I have forwarded them to QA for closer analysis and once I hear back from, I’ll be sure to update you accordingly. Thanks for your patience here while this reached the top of their review queue!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.