Roon Preventing Sleep? [Ticket In]

I recently set up my core and store to sleep so that I can WOL before I use Roon. They wake up OK with a WOL command sent from my iPhone, but I now noticed that my core (Windows 10 PC) won’t sleep automatically, even though it’s configured to, it only sleeps if I do it manually.

In my limited Windows knowledge (mainly I use Mac) I tried powercfg -requests and the only process flagged was Roon.exe, so is this expected behaviour? I’d like to resolve, as if the PC doesn’t sleep it also keeps the NAS alive, which is a bit of a pain. Obviously, I don’t want the core to sleep while playing music, but this is occurring even when nothing is playing on any zone.

What wol command are you using, RDP?

Sorry, but I don’t know - I’m using an app called Mocha WOL on my iPhone, if that helps?

There was a posting in another thread saying that if it is woken up using a Remote Desktop Controller WoL command it won’t go back to sleep again, something similar may be happening.

The best I can tell from the Mocha website is that it uses a UDP packet (no mention of RDP…

WoL is seperate to RDP it looksike they just send the wake up command so that doesn’t seem to be the problem.

1 Like

Thanks for ruling that out.

Hello @ScreenMachine,

The expected behavior here is that if playback is not actively happening in Roon, then the core should be able to go to sleep, I would double check to make sure that none of your zones have music playing in the background.

We can do some testing in the lab to see if we are able to reproduce your findings but unfortunately I cannot comment on an exact timeline of when that would happen but I have put in the request. If you make any new discoveries regarding this issue please do let us know.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

Thanks for your help - I double checked and none of the zones are playing anything.

Thank you for putting this on the test list, I’ll keep trying to troubleshoot my end and update this thread if I fin anything, as per your request.

Let me know if you need more detailed system/network settings, etc.

James

Hello @ScreenMachine,

If you can let me know the type of NAS you are using that may be helpful, otherwise I believe I have enough information for the test request with QA and if anything else comes up I will be sure to ask you.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

The NAS is a Synology DS415play, all DSM software up to date (DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 4). However, the problem persists whether the NAS is turned on or off, so I’d be surprised if the issue lies there.

Just so you have all the info, the PC is a Dell Inspiron 15R SE/ 6GB RAM/ Intel Core i5 3230M 2.6GHz/ 1TB Sata HDD/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 1809, build 17763.253.

James

1 Like

Hello @ScreenMachine,

I wanted to touch base with some good news, which is that our technical team has been able to reproduce this behavior and we’ve opened up a bug report with our developers.

While I can’t say for certain when this bug will be fixed, getting things reproduced in-house is a critical first step, and I will keep this thread up to date as the team passes along feedback and work begins to get this resolved. Thanks again for the report!

– Noris

1 Like

Hi Noris,

Thanks for the update. Glad the tech team were able to replicate - that’s brilliant, very speedy.

James

Roon’s preventing sleep for me too… I keep staying up late listening to it! :joy:

2 Likes

Hello fellow listen-all-nighters! I can attest to the same issue here with a very similar story and setup to the OP @ScreenMachine. Any updates or workarounds discovered?

Thanks!

Hi @Richard_U,

There is no update that I can provide at this time. We have an active ticket regarding this behavior and as soon as I have any further news regarding this issue I will be sure to update this thread.