Roon profile scrobbling to lastfm account connected to a different profile [Ticket In]

Hi @support,

I just noticed this evening that my son’s plays are all being scrobbled by Roon to my lastfm account. This seems to be a bug since only my Roon profile has a lastfm account connected, my son has a separate Roon profile and we have just confirmed it has no lastfm account connected. His plays are definitely ending up in my lastfm account.

I have just disconnected the lastfm account from Roon as a stop gap to prevent any more of his plays appearing in my lastfm account. I’ll attempt to reproduce it when I re add the account later.

Is this a known issue? I couldn’t find anything on the forum about it.

Cheers!

Hi @support

I have confirmed the above behaviour. I signed back into the lastfm account in my Roon profile and played tracks in both my Roon profile and my son’s. All the tracks played were scrobbled to last.fm irrespective of which Roon profile was used to play them.

This seems like a fairly straightfoward bug, hopefully you will be able to reproduce and fix pretty easily.

thanks

Hey @Tim_Rhodes,

Sorry we didn’t get back to you until today — we just returned to work after the weekend :nerd_face:

Our team took a moment to discuss this and it’s important to point a few aspects (some that you have discovered yourself :star_struck:):

• Last.fm is profile specific, meaning that if a last.fm account is connected to one profile it can only be accessed from that profile. Unless added to two profiles, there should be no interference. You mentioned there being no last.fm account associated with your son’s profile
  • could you please check your history (on your profile, the one with the last.fm account connected) and see if any tracks your son might have listened to is present there.
1 Like

Hi @beka

Thanks for getting back to me :slight_smile:

I assumed that, as you have stated, last.fm was profile specific, but that is not what I am seeing.

I only have one last.fm account, which is mine. It is connected to my Roon profile, my son’s Roon profile has no last.fm account connected. But when we play a track in Roon in my son’s profile the track is scrobbled to my last.fm account.

Let me try and illustrate with screenshots;

My profile in Roon;

My son’s profile in Roon;

Track played in my Roon profile;

Track played in my son’s Roon profile;

My last.fm account ‘recent tracks’;

My Roon history;

My son’s Roon history;

Hey @Tim_Rhodes,

Thank you so much for taking the time to clearly illustrate how everything is displayed on your end. Clearly, this isn’t how things should be.

I’ve submitted a ticket with our QA team for investigation. I’ll follow up as soon as I hear back from them :nerd_face:

1 Like

Thank you :pray:

1 Like

Hey @Tim_Rhodes,

Sorry about the wait :blush: . We’re trying to take a look at as many issues we can before the year is over :nerd_face:

Unfortunately, we’ve been trying unsuccessfully to reproduce the issue on our end and we failed. However, the screenshot you’ve sent are a clear indication that things aren’t working as expected.

This is why, we were wondering if you could:

• log out of your last.fm account in Roon
  • log out of Roon and quit Roon (on your Core)
  • reboot your Roon Core (turn it off, unplug it for a few minutes, plug back in and turn on)
  • launch Roon

Does the issue persist?

Hi @beka

Despite my initial skepticism I think this has actually worked! I’ll keep testing but a first attempt seems to show that only my plays are getting scrobbled now.

Thank you :pray:

Hey @Tim_Rhodes,

Wow :star_struck: ! Thank you for trying the suggestion, despite its simplicity (reminds me of Nebuchadnezzar :sweat_smile:). I’m really glad it paid off.

And yes, please, do keep us posted.

Hi @beka

I just wanted to let you know that this issue has re-occured for my son and I recently. I will apply the workaround above, but I wondered what the status of the ticket is currently?

thanks
Tim

Hey @Tim_Rhodes,

Ben here with the support team stepping in for Rebeka, thank you for reaching out and following up. It’s great to see you again! My sincerest apologies for the delayed response and for your wait. We’ve made some recent changes to the support team structure and some reports have experienced a longer response time than usual.

I’m sorry to hear that your last.fm issue has resurfaced. Since some time has passed I wanted to touch base to get your current status. Was the hard reboot to your core successful in resetting things? If you’re still experiencing this problem and need assistance please let us know.

Our QA team still hasn’t been able to reproduce the issue, but pending your reply, we might be able to dig deeper to find the root cause.

We’ll be watching for your reply and get back in touch as quickly as we can. Thanks! :+1:

Hi @benjamin

Thanks for getting back to me, the issue does re-occur every few months or so. It is fine at the moment and the workaround steps that @beka provided do resolve the issue when it happens. The only downside really is that I have to go into my last.fm account and remove all the spurious plays.

To be clear the workaround is as follows;

• log out of my last.fm account in Roon
  • log out of Roon and quit Roon
  • reboot your Roon Core
  • launch Roon

If it helps I can let you know the next time the problem occurs? Maybe the Roon logs will reveal something?

Tim

1 Like

Hey @Tim_Rhodes,

You read my mind here! Glad to hear the workaround helps, I’d love to have the team take a closer look into logs next time it happens.

If you could send over a timestamp of when it happens next, that would be immensely helpful!

1 Like

@Tim_Rhodes our QA team was digging into this a bit more, and we have a few additional questions for you:

• Are there any specific actions that cause it to occur?
  • It seems to have gone away for a while before coming back, are there any patterns before the issue starts to occur?
  • Do you use the same remote or different remotes?

Thank you, Tim!

I’m afraid I haven’t been able to work out a reproducible set of steps to make it happen.

My son uses and iPhone or an iPad and I use an iPad or a windows 10 pc. The issue happens after a period of time (several days at least) of him using his profile in Roon… I eventually start to notice his plays appearing in my last.fm account. The workaround fixes it for an indeterminate period of time.

1 Like