Roon quits randomly all the time now

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Windows 10 I7-3630 8g of ram +ssd

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
some endpoints are ethernet, some are airplay. some are sonos.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
In the last month, Roon playback extremely unreliable. songs just get hung up and stop. the endpoint doesnt seem to matter. once it gets stuck on one endpoint, i cant play on the others either. must reboot the system. roon is all i use on that computer. i just have it in the corner of the room. i have the logs, but i couldnt attach them to this forum. doesnt seem to matter if it is songs from the core hdd or from tidal. the time bar for the song swings wildly back and forth. when i push play after it stops, it just sits there.

Roon plays everything from the RoonCore to the endpoints. If the server gets stuck, then changing endpoints probably will not make a difference. Local music/streaming music all go to the core first and then out to the endpoints.

How is the Core server attached to the system, ethernet or wireless? Have you also looked at the Windows logs? There might be something else going on with system hardware or other software?

Hi @Jason_Allen — Thanks for reaching out.

Is your Core machine connected via Ethernet or WiFi?

How often does the skipping occur? Is it almost every track, or is it random and infrequent?

If you play local content to System Output of the Core does the same skipping occur?

The problem only seems to occur between 6pm and 9pm. I moved the Core during that time to a different computer(much faster) and it still has problems. Starting to think it’s an internet problem. We have a cable modem with 200mbps and 20 Mbps upload and I did speed test during that time and the ping, jitter, and speed was barely crawling. I was only getting 40 Mbps during that time. I was doing a speedtest every 10 mins and at 920pm, The speed went back up to 200mbps and the problem stopped. I’ll have to contact my isp to see why it crawls between those hours. Too many people watch Sunday night football maybe.

Thanks for the update, @Jason_Allen. It definitely sounds like there may have been some networking issues at the time which could certainly account for the issues you’re seeing. If you see this issue return outside of a time where the network appears to be having an issue let us know and we can take a look!

Sounds like your ISP is throttling during high traffic loads.

it started skipping tracks again last night or stopping completely again(this mostly happens). i called my isp and they did some speed checks and there were no problems. I decided to disconnect from tidal and disable that portion. I started to play just from my own library and i still had some skipping and hangups. it doesnt seem to matter if im playing to my bluesound node 2 which is on ethernet or to an airplay denon reciever.
gave up so i went to bed. i got up this morning and im playing from my own library. works fine now. so far the problem appears to be limited to the evenings mostly. its a 6pm to 9pm mtn standard time when i have the most trouble.

i just saw the build 505. i put that on and will see if that helps

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.