Roon Radio, add to Library, tagging and favouriting

Now that ARC makes my Roon library available on the go, I’m actually starting to use Roon for music discovery and curation. Today a track came up on Roon Radio that I wanted to incorporate into my library. It gave me the Add to Library and Add to Playlist options, but did not give me the option to add tags or even to make the track a favorite.

Am I missing something? Please tell me Roon Radio isn’t the same dead end that Tidal Playlists are! :sob:

A track or album must be in your library before you can add tags, favorite it, or edit it in any way

1 Like

Thanks! In the screen shot above, the track has been added to my library. What’s the process after that to allow these other operations?

Go to the version of the album/track in the library (i.e. the newly added one). You can favorite, tag, and edit it there. Note that you can’t do that with the copy of the track in the radio queue because this is still the non-library version

1 Like

Thanks, @Suedkiez. That’s exactly what I was afraid of. The same inconvenience as Tidal Playlist tracks.

Bumping this since it’s the most fitting description of the issue I’m facing as well. Why can’t the now playing screen and the context menus update when an “Add to Library” function has been performed? It’s so inconvenient needing to go back to the just added album, often times needing to hit “Add to Library” again to force an update to the page… Annoying!

@SMT, welcome to the Roon community. You may want to add your vote to #feedback:feature-suggestions.

For example…

1 Like

Thanks @Martin_Webster! So here’s the thing. Since this feature request is from 2019 and has four votes, it’s (probably) never gonna get tackled, even though the underlying UX issue is huge, it’s a real nuisance while discovering music. I kindly suggest to treat this as the flaw it is and not like a feature request.

If I hit “Add album to library” I should see and be able to hit the favorite icon directly afterwards.

Just so you know, I’m a volunteer community moderator, and don’t represent Roon. It’s the same for the other mods.

Regarding #feedback:feature-suggestions, these are viewed by Roon, but they decide what is and isn’t important. Moreover, it helps if people vote for their suggestions.

A mentioned in the feature request, if you are listening to a release that isn’t in your library, and then add it, both are different data objects, which is why some features are available on one and not the other.

Thanks Martin. I appreciate you being a moderator and understand the difference between folks representing Roon and someone like yourself. I did upvote that feature request. Still, I’m sticking with my opinion, it’s an oversight that needs to be fixed. Actually, it’s my biggest issue with Roon and I have used the software before.

It’s stunning to see this not getting fixed in years, even (or especially) if it’s an architectural issue. Why can the data objects not be treated differently? It’s baffling, really. I would think that the people in charge who use Roon themselves would see the same issues and take it upon themselves to fix this.

1 Like