Roon Radio based on my artist or song... waay too repetitive

I posted a while back about this and someone suggested seeding with an artist instead of a song. Doesn’t matter… I seed with an artist and it will pick some of the same songs repeatedly, every hour or so. In my mind this makes it pretty much worthless for my use as I use it often for background music and getting the same songs over and over is very frustrating when the artists for those songs have recorded hundreds. I seed with Dave Alvin and get Guy Clark “Dublin Blues” over and over… Dave Alvin “1968” again and again… Jimmie Dale Gilmore “Mack the Knife” repeatedly… etc.

Since all of these artists are prolific with hundreds of recordings it is very sad that the algorithm keeps picking the same few songs. As for the suggestion to hit thumbs up/down. I am not sitting at the computer so can’t keep running over to see what is coming. Roon needs to fix it or I will definitely be dropping out… too much to spend on software that has millions of songs and can’t figure out how to vary it.

Hmmm, something is definitely not right here. I’m wondering if there is some problem in your cache?
I hope you don’t mind I’m moving your post over to Support. Others may have your problem too, and this doesn’t sound like expected behavior. Roon Support should be able to get to the bottom of this.

Hi @bruce_bosler1,

Can you share a screenshot of the queue screen showing an example of duplicate picks?

here are 3 shots from yesterday an hour or so apart seeded with Dave Alvin. Note various repeats such as “Dublin Blues” and others with “out of control” coming up again within 8 songs in the first shot

Thanks @bruce_bosler1 — I’ve passed this feedback along to the team for investigation. We appreciate the report!

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac Mini just updated to latest but it makes no difference

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

I have no network issues

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

no problem with devices, it is Roon software that is the problem

Description Of Issue

I posted a while back about this and someone suggested seeding with an artist instead of a song. Doesn’t matter… I seed with an artist and it will pick some of the same songs repeatedly, every hour or so. In my mind this makes it pretty much worthless for my use as I use it often for background music and getting the same songs over and over is very frustrating when the artists for those songs have recorded hundreds. I seed with Dave Alvin and get Guy Clark “Dublin Blues” over and over… Dave Alvin “1968” again and again… Jimmie Dale Gilmore “Mack the Knife” repeatedly… etc. I have tried other artists, songs, genres, and it does the same thing

Since all of these artists are prolific with hundreds of recordings it is very sad that the algorithm keeps picking the same few songs. As for the suggestion to hit thumbs up/down. I am not sitting at the computer so can’t keep running over to see what is coming. Roon needs to fix it or I will definitely be dropping out… too much to spend on software that has millions of songs and can’t figure out how to vary it.

Hi Bruce,

Can you please start Artist play and provide a screenshot of your History tab after you started the playback? Ideally the history tab would show the songs and then at a later point we can compare if the same tracks appear when you start this again. Thanks!

My fault for posting this in 2 spots, but I’ve already provided screen shots here

started it again as you asked though

Hi @bruce_bosler1,

Thanks for letting me know about the other thread, I have merged them and will let you continue working with @dylan on this issue.

so it keeps doing it, I’ve heard some songs 5-6 times today. You need to figure it out or I am moving on. It is ridiculous it picks the same song from the same artist from the same album again and again. Listening now to “The only Thing Worth Fighting For” for about the 5th time today, and Rosanne Cash has recorded dozens of albums and hundreds of songs. It doesn’t even wait an hour sometimes, earlier today it played the same song twice in a row. .

Hi @bruce_bosler1,

Thanks for the continued feedback. Are there any other Roon Radio seeds that seem to be repetitive? If you could provide a couple more examples that you’ve seen (no need for screenshots for these) I’ll be sure to get them over to the team so they can investigate further.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.