Roon radio extremely limited on what it will play

Roon Core Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

When I first signed up for Roon in July of 2019 by far my favorite feature was the Roon Radio; it introduced me to many many bands with which I was not familiar and had an uncanny knack of choosing things I liked. But recently (say the last 6 months or so) Roon Radio has been essentially worthless. It plays the same 10-15 bands over and over again, and the same tracks from each of those bands. Granted, I’m not initiating Roon Radio from wildly disparate starting points ( I would hope it would play different tracks if I started with a Norwegian death metal band vs. Kenny G), but I am starting from fairly different subgenres, say alt-country, Indie rock, or acoustic, but regardless, it ends up playing the same songs over and over again, and often in the same order (I’ve scrolled back through my queue multiple times to see if I was crazy or if a set of songs had been played in the exact same order the day before, and sure enough, they had. But with a different Roon Radio starting track).

Honestly, this is extremely frustrating for me. Roon Radio is pretty much the only reason I have Roon; my hifi manufacturer’s own app is good and can easily implement my local library with the major streamers (Qobuz, Tidal, etc). This is new behavior; when I first signed up Roon Radio was amazing. Now it’s like I’ve only got a 1980’s 10 CD changer, and I’m too lazy to ever switch the discs and just leave them on random play. Seriously. It’s that bad.

Is this a known issue, and is a fix in the works?

Thank you.

Hi @Laertes,

We appreciate you sharing the behavior you’ve seen from Roon Radio and for expressing how much you value this feature. Like you, we want Roon Radio to be the best that it can be and we understand how getting a series of repeats can negatively impact your listening enjoyment.

The good news is that I can tell you the team has been actively investigating this issue over the last few weeks, and we are hoping to make improvements here soon. We’ve been collecting data on this to drill down into Radio behavior to determine why this is happening. Some users experience this frequently, others see it occur very rarely. We’re perplexed, but we’re addressing it.

I want you to know that we hear you, acknowledge what you’re experiencing, and that we’re on the case. Thank you again for reaching out about this. We understand and empathize with your frustration. We’re going to get this fixed.

Jamie-

I appreciate your response. I am a huge fan of Roon (your product is GREAT), and I look forward to it getting back to normal.

Cheers!

1 Like

Same happening here, every radio session results in the same songs being played. Very broken.

This topic was automatically closed 4 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.