Roon Radio 1.6 Feedback Thread

What setting do you have your DAC on in roon? It should just play so there is something wrong in your set up.

I’ve just been playing with this tonight. Mind boggling to me just how well this works (I thought the previous version pretty much sucked)… I am a Tidal subscriber and on Qobuz open beta.

My seed was an obscure British jazz CD from my library - Neil Ardley “A Symphony of Amaranths”.

Roon Radio followed it with another Ardley track from a different album, then Mike Taylor, then Mike Westbrook, Ian Carr/Nucleus, Soft Machine…everything flowed perfectly, no crazy head-scratching jumps.

It was pretty much spot on. Unreal job Roonies you have really upped the game, this feature went from something that was (barely) usable to something that is one of the best things about Roon.

Thank you!

3 Likes

In device setup MQA Capabilities set to No MQA Support,and have Enable MQA Core Decoder set to yes.Also using with HQPlayer.

I’d raise a thread in support as roon should just play an MQA track regardless.

Okay thanks

I am told this is not necessary:

Yes my pal @Geoff_Coupe is definitely not Radio’ing with any of the below genres :grin:

I’ve found the same, for these popular (popular outside the Roon world, out in the real world) genres.

Our numbers in Roon world may be really low though, so we have a steep hill to climb.

I started Radio with a dance track and after dozens of thumbs down I saw zero improvement/change in direction (it stays with R&B), gave up and pulled up Spotify for radio. Night and day difference, no blind testing required :grin: But Spotify does have 100M users and significantly more that listen to these genres than the Roon world (I guess…)

No such issues with my Fleetwood Mac and Jackson Browne Radio’ing… @Sloop_John_B :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

Stop teasing us elderly with your urban musical offerings. #Whippersnapper.

4 Likes

Ha. I’m very careful and deliberate to keep it balanced Ged…

1 Like

It was the Fleetwood Mac stuff I meant, far too modern for us.
A nice bit of ragtime perhaps…

2 Likes

Hilarious.

1 Like

I may need to stop being critical of Roon Radio because if the AI behind it becomes self aware one day, it may reveal the truth to everyone, that I mostly just listen to Celine Dion on repeat.

Roon Radio is great!

:grin:

8 Likes

:rofl:

(10 chars)

1 Like

My old man (dad) isn’t on these forums but I just had a phone call with him and he started Roon Radio on Fourplay earlier, and he loves it.

I told him that doesn’t help me at all. He said, stop listening to the new stuff and just stick to the old stuff… :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Take heed.

1 Like

@ged_hickman1, I suppose you have seen Robert Johnson play live! Im jealous :grin:

3 Likes

Unfortunately he didn’t make it to the UK. However, given the wicked life I have led and his Faustian pact for his skills I may see him in future.

1 Like

Your old man has excellent taste!

1 Like

I did today, briefly. I’m by no means a connoisseur, but I tend to like baroque to concentrate on work. I started with Handel Concerti Grossi. Didn’t like the choices Radio came up with, see below. I don’t have the vocabulary to explain why, just wasn’t the sound I was looking for. I’ll have to experiment more.

One thing that struck me as a missed opportunity, is that when you skip a track that’s part of a movement and indicate you didn’t like it, shouldn’t the next skip in the same movement take you to a new Radio suggestion altogether? I found myself having to skip through all the parts in a movement.

1 Like

My experience also. I tried a few more times with different Classical seeds. Given up now. The only pattern I found was roon stayed Classical but there was no other pattern in terms of era, style, instrumentation etc.

It was mentioned on another thread that other “minority” tastes like Rap are also having issues. Looks like we can add Baroque and American Art Song to that list. No doubt there is a much more involved explanation but it looks like the roon AI needs a critical mass of listeners in sub-genres before it can build a reliable pool of tracks on which it can draw.

2 Likes