Roon Radio - Global Disable Setting

I can’t describe how many times I’ve reached the end of an album and it’s followed by more music that I am not expecting. It is never a good experience for me.

I keep disabling Roon Radio, but every time I add a new device I find it is re-enabled.

I really want a global switch to disable this, across the board.

I know I’ve read similar complaints. Please give us the a toggle switch to stop this.

2 Likes

I would like a setting that controls if Roon radio shows up at the bottom on the Queue page. I never use Roon radio.

Hi Per,

I believe if you search suggestions that there have been previous requests for global shutoff of Roon Radio.

I realize I can switch off “Start after the music ends” in the queue window, but I have turned that off, multiple times, on multiple Roon systems, and for some reason it keeps coming back.

When it does continue playback, if I forget to stop playback (which I do, often), then it will just keep playing. That would be fine, except that I have and heavily use last.fm, and all those tracks get recorded there.

I also don’t really like those random tracks filling my history, since I use that often as well.

Ideally I’d like it if that toggle setting was aggressively persistent, never automatically turning itself on again.

If I do turn it back on, I’d prefer if it only lasted for the current session or until playback stopped. I’d basically like it to default to the opposite ‘assumption’ it currently has. If it suggested I opt-in to continuing radio after the track ended, that would be wonderful, so I could hear more if I wanted to; but I don’t want it to be automatic.

Failing that, I would like to ensure that these automatically played tracks are not submitted to last.fm.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s normal for your setting to change. Once I set Roon Radio to off after playing the queue, it stays that way. Note that this must be set for each endpoint/zone.

It should be, but it can change under specific circumstances

Makes sense.

I agree with many responses in that thread. My expectation is that this should not be a device-level setting, but rather a user level.

It appears to “change” for me precisely because I remember turning it off recently, then add or switch to a device where I haven’t turned it off, and it’s back on. I play with DACs and other devices frequently so that’s very common. Also, infrequently Roon will lose track of a given DAC and I need to add it again.

All that to say, setting this per device makes it unpredictable to me. I think it should be at the user/global level regardless of device.

1 Like

I agree, this feature needs to be settable on a global level.
For those like me not interested in roon radio and who will never wish to see it again.

1 Like

Admittedly, I rarely use Roon Radio. I almost always play music that I have selected and when that is finished, I want the music to stop. I most frequently encounter Roon Radio when an album I have played is finished and I notice that the music is continuing with stuff that I didn’t select. I then have to get involved and stop Roon Radio. It seems to be established on a zone-by-zone basis. Every time I add a new end point Roon Radio is automatically enabled for that device (zone) and sooner or later it will pop up and I will have to figure out how to stop it all over again.

What I am suggesting is that you create a section in SETTINGS for Roon Radio that would allow the user to control it from just one place. There could be a separate line for each device with an on/off toggle. Additionally, there could be a Master toggle that turns it on or off across all devices.

I suspect that more people use Roon Radio than those of us that don’t so I understand it being on by default. However, having one place to control it would be very nice for those of us that don’t use it.

Thanks for your consideration.

FYI, it’s a device setting in the Squeezebox ecosystem too. A device/zone dependent setting makes more sense to me. I would like it enabled on a few zones, but not others, for instance. The main difference is that in the Squeezebox ecosystem the default setting is “off”. However that wouldn’t be preferred by the users that want Roon Radio enabled on all or most of the devices/zones. I understand why some users would prefer a global setting. Since it can be disabled on all devices/zones, and it should be an one time action, I wouldn’t hold my breath.
But that’s just my two cents. :wink: