Roon Radio Issue on MacOS

I am having the exact same problem, but with a different setup.

MacOS 10.15.3
Roon 1.7 (build 528) trial mode
Wifi is Netgear Orbi
Bluesound Node 2i
Qobuz and Tidal streaming

Hi @Mike_Cempa,

Is your Mac connected via WiFi or Ethernet? If WiFi, can you try an Ethernet connection and let us know if there is any change?

Does this issue happen if you play to endpoints besides the Bluesound?

After further investigation, the problem that is occurring is not just Roon radio, but also when switching tracks, even if using the same source. I will get the message Qobuz is loading slowly (or Tidal or a track). Now, I do not see any of these problems on the core machine, since I enabled IGMP proxying, and this is connected via ethernet to the router. The core machine works with both system output and Bluesound. It’s all the remotes that have the problem, and the problem occurs with either Bluesound or system output. Thanks for looking into it.

I take that back, the core machine also shows those problems when using Bluesound as endpoint.

Thanks for the details, @Mike_Cempa.

As mentioned above, is your Mac connected via WiFi or Ethernet? If WiFi, can you try an Ethernet connection and let us know if there is any change?

So, yes my Mac is connected via ethernet to the router.

So, I tried taking everything down and rebooting, one at at a time, Mac (core), Bluesound, remote devices, and it worked for a few hours, but the problem is occurring again, more intermittently, but still there. Since everything works on my Mac core machine, including my library, which is on Synology NAS via Wifi, I’m thinking it has something to do with the Bluesound, and or it’s network connections.

From my previous message - “I will get the message Qobuz is loading slowly (or Tidal or a track). Now, I do not see any of these problems on the core machine, since I enabled IGMP proxying, and this is connected via ethernet to the router. The core machine works with both system output and Bluesound. It’s all the remotes that have the problem, and the problem occurs with either Bluesound or system output. Thanks for looking into it.”

Bumping this, haven’t heard back in a couple days.

Hi @Mike_Cempa,

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

OK, I reproduced the error several times around 0037 EDT (0437 GMT), then it started working and the problem returned again at 0043 (0443). Hope the helps

Thanks, @Mike_Cempa — Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Thanks Dylan,

I’ve been doing some testing of my own, and believe the problem lies with Roon and its interaction with the Bluesound Node. Roon runs fine when the output is set locally to each device it is running on. And, my Bluesound runs fine when it is running off its BluOS app. So, it’s something between the two. Anyway, looking forward to see what you find.

Mike

Hi @Mike_Cempa,

Thanks for confirming that this issue seems to be specific to the Bluesound logs. I think it would be good for our team to take a look at the Bluesound logs here since we’ve narrowed things down to that device.

You can get these logs by navigating to Bluesound’s IP Address in a web browser -> Diagnostics -> More -> Copy+ paste the text into a text editor and send it as a shared Dropbox/Google Drive/Firefox Send link

Thanks!

Hi Dylan,

OK, here is a link to the Bluesound diagnostic log.

Mike

Hi @Mike_Cempa — Just wanted to reach out and let you know our team is looking into the Bluesound logs you shared. We’ll be reaching out soon with feedback!

OK, thanks Dylan! Will be waiting to see what you come up with. Rebeka extended my trial, so I’m good for now.

Hello @Mike_Cempa,

Thank you for providing the BluOS diagnostic logs, it makes troubleshooting much easier for everyone involved.

Looking at the logs, we can see that the Node 2i is dropping samples during RAAT playback which is likely the cause of this behavior:

Apr 10 01:19:20 (none) user.info dspout: Volume: 901 => 235 -> 235 (min=0, max=255)
Apr 10 01:19:20 (none) user.info dspout: Command(l=7): L50
Apr 10 01:19:20 (none) user.info dspout: Command(l=4): I100
Apr 10 01:19:21 (none) user.info ./ms.pl: Controller::streamStarted Controller.pm (2708) streamId=54
Apr 10 01:19:21 (none) user.info dspout: Command(l=5): I5000
Apr 10 01:19:22 (none) user.warn RAAT: [lua@0x73ffeb2c] [192.168.1.103:50173]  UNKNOWN COMMAND 109
Apr 10 01:19:32 (none) user.warn RAAT: dropout of 363 samples at 0 [2]
Apr 10 01:19:32 (none) user.warn RAAT: dropout of 363 samples at 363 [2]
Apr 10 01:19:33 (none) user.warn RAAT: dropout of 363 samples at 726 [2]
Apr 10 01:19:33 (none) user.warn RAAT: dropout of 363 samples at 1089 [2]
Apr 10 01:19:33 (none) user.warn RAAT: dropout of 363 samples at 1452 [2]
Apr 10 01:19:33 (none) user.warn RAAT: dropout of 363 samples at 1815 [2]
Apr 10 01:19:33 (none) user.warn RAAT: dropout of 363 samples at 2178 [2]

These dropouts are not caused by your Roon Core or network, in fact the logging information suggests that the RAAT component is working as designed. What the logs indicate is that the Node 2i is unable to process audio samples quick enough for uninterrupted playback.

I recommend reaching out to the Bluesound support team with this report as they will be in the best position to further troubleshoot your unit.

-John

Hi John,

Just wanted to let you know that this was fixed by connecting my Bluesound Node to my network access point via ethernet. So, this resolved the problem for me, and Roon is working great now. Thanks for all your help, and thanks to Dylan, too!. I have to compliment Roon on having very good support.

Mike

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.