Roon Radio - "Nothing Playing" shown when end of possible picks is reached

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Nucleus + and ROCK - Intel NUC i7

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wired HP ProSafe Switch

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB, HDMI and RCA connection to desktop

Description Of Issue

I use Roon Radio often by selecting an Artist and clicking the Roon Radio button using multiple end points on two different Cores listed above. Roon Radio plays for varying amounts of time and then randomly stops at the end of a song and display Nothing Playing. I then Search for the same Artist and play Roon Radio again and it continues. What is the cause of the seemingly random interruptions?

Hello @Terry_Deeb,

What kind of audio endpoints are you using?
Does the same behavior occur for multiple endpoints?

My main endpoint is a McIntosh MX-160 AV Processor via USB from a Nucleus+ core. However, I have a second core at my office and the endpoint is a Dell PC onboard sound card using Windows 10. Both endpoints have the same behavior. Both are using the same music library, but two different Tidal subscriptions. I am not sure if the behavior occurs when playing the music library. It has always happened during the playing of Tidal content using Roon Radio.

Hi @Terry_Deeb,

Does this behavior consistently occur with one artist/track that you started Roon Radio off of or does it occur for multiple artists/tracks?

How long would you say that Roon Radio runs for before this behavior happens? An hour? A day? More?

It occurs on multiple artists. It is hard to say the length of time because I typically pause play in between listening and may not come back to it for several days. I will pay attention to the time between when it happens and report back. Thank you.

1 Like

Hello @Terry_Deeb,

If you could also let me know the artist/track you started Roon Radio off of and exact local time + date + track of the next stoppage that would be helpful as well. Thanks!

Hi Norris,
Hi Norris,

Thank you for your patience. It has taken until today for this behavior to repeat itself. I would estimate that I have played this Core only several hours total since your 2/4 e-mail, but you can probably verify that through the logs.

In answer to your questions, the behavior happens on multiple artists/tracks. In this instance, I started Roon Radio off on the artist Little Big Town. Yesterday 3/5/20 at 3:52 EST after the song Tequila Sheila by Blake Shelton, Roon stopped and displayed “Nothing Playing” on the remote. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks,

Terry

Hi @Terry_Deeb,

Apologies for the slight delay in getting back to you due to the weekend and thanks for letting me know the timestamp!

The above timestamp you mentioned is when you were using your Nucleus Core, correct? I am not seeing the Nucleus reach out to our diagnostics servers, so we might need to get manual logs of this timestamp.

Can I please ask that you use these instructions to access your Nucleus logs? Specifically the Nucleus logs can be accessed through SMB like so:

Nucleus Core

• Using a Windows machine, open File Explorer and navigate to \\NUCLEUS\Data . You should then see the RoonServer folder.
  • Using a Mac, open Finder and navigate to smb://NUCLEUS/Data . You should then see the RoonServer folder.

Be sure to replace NUCLEUS with NUCLEUSPLUS if you have a Nucleus+

After locating the logs, can you please create a .zip archive of them and upload them to Dropbox / Google Drive and post a link here? If you don’t have Dropbox / Google Drive just let me know and I can provide alternate upload instructions.

Thanks!

Hi Norris,
Yes, the timestamp refers to my Nucleus+ core. Per your request, here is a link to the log file in my Dropbox.
Thanks,
Terry

1 Like

Hi @Terry_Deeb,

Just wanted to update you that the logs have been submitted for QA analysis and we are currently awaiting further feedback from them. Once I have additional info I will update you accordingly. Thank you for your patience here!

Hi @Terry_Deeb,

I appreciate your patience until I had a chance to consult with QA regarding your case.

They have looked over logs and it appears that Roon Radio was not active during your timestamp of:

If this behavior occurs again, could you please provide a screenshot of what the Roon Remote shows? A screenshot would be of great help to better understand this behavior.

Thank you!

This behavior happened today, but unfortunately, I had forgotten your instruction about the screen shot, so I did not take one. I am using Roon more on a daily basis now that I have a home gym. So I should be able to reproduce it soon. I had been listening to Roon Radio of a particular artist for about a week. I paused Play after my workouts each day and restarted the next day. Today at 2:06pm a song ended and my Google Chromecast display screen immediately when to the Roon logo on the black background. I looked at my iPhone and the display said “Nothing Playing” on a grayed out background. The next time I will capture a screen shot for you.

1 Like

Hi @Terry_Deeb,

Thanks for the info! When the issue re-occurs, please do submit the timestamp + screenshot and once I have that I can pass that on to QA, along with diagnostics.

I would be happy to. I sometimes forget the Roon Radio artist that I started with by the time this happens. Is there anywhere in the Remote that I can go to look that up? Thanks.

If you look on the Now Playing screen, next to the “End” button it should say what the starting Artist/Track was, “Playling music similar to…”

Hello Noris,
At 4:53pm EDT time today, the issue recurred. The starting point was “Playing Music similar to Paradise by Coldplay” This is a different starting point than ever before, and the issue seems to occur regardless of the starting point. Between the starting point and the stopping point there were 31 songs, paused and restarted over the course of several days. The screen shot that I am sending you is from my iPhone. On the screen of the remote on my MacBook Pro Queue after the last song it says Nothing Queued Go Find Something to Play. Please let me know if there is anything else you need. roonnp|230x500 .

Here is the screenshot from the MacBook Remote.

1 Like

Hi @Terry_Deeb,

Thanks for letting me know those timestamps! I’ve gone ahead and activated diagnostics mode on the Macbook and iPhone, so please open the Roon app on there when you have a chance.

Can you please also let me know which Core you were using at the time of the 4:53PM timestamp? Was is still your Nucleus Core or was it one of your ROCK cores?

Noris,
Do you have any updates on this issue? It happened again today at 1:56EDT. It was playing Roon Radio on the artist Band of Heathens. It has been started and paused several times over the last couple of days. It played approximately 54 songs before stopping.

Hi @Terry_Deeb,

I didn’t hear back from you after my last message, so I was unsure which Core you used to reproduce the issue on, can you please let me know the Core when you post a timestamp (as you have a few Cores registered to your account)?