Roon Radio: Option to ban artists completely

Maybe better to have a ‘Only play tracks in my library’ button.

Roon Radio is a great way to discover new tracks and artists so just playing tracks from your own library is not the solution.

Its not meant to be a solution its an option if you only want to listen to your own music…
Its called functionality.

So why comment on this topic? This is about the feature request to ban an artist.

1 Like

Because you can get better functionality if you consider all options.

You did say "I don’t have any music from these hated artists in my library."

I’ll leave you with it… :grinning:

Not sure you quite understood the request: the request is to prevent the algo from playing music that you know you dislike, whatever the reason. Let’s take an extreme, and say your spouse was raped to the sound of Bruce Springsteen, and has horrific flashbacks each time they hear Born in The USA. Why would one argue that they shouldn’t be able to discover new music they might like using Roon Radio ?

Less extreme: let’s say I don’t want any amount of my money, no matter how small, to ever go to Phil Spector or Michael Jackson’s estates, but that I still would like some Leonard Cohen here and there. Shouldn’t I be able to tell Roon Radio I don’t want to hear anything Phil Spector or Michael Jackson, which’d allow me to randomly get a nugget of The Ramones, the Stones, or Cohen, minus Spector’s taint ?

1 Like

I have a load of artist in my library but I don’t have all of the albums in my library.
I could have a radio button that would restrict radio so it only plays artists I like.

In your example I would not have that music in my Library as it causes so much distress.

So I could spend the rest of my life disliking artists, or I could have an option to only play the music I like.

So you could end up with
1/ Ban an artist altogether.
2/ Only play artists which appear in by library in radio.

It just gives you that additional option to ensure artist are restricted.

I’m simply working from - I don’t have any music from these hated artists in my library.

1 Like

Another option is to make a single file of random noise where you fill the metadata with the names of the artists you don’t want to hear, and use that. Works, but it’s involved…

@mike, I know this probably isn’t a good time to pile crap on your guys’ plates, but if the “don’t ever play this artist again” thing does make it through, would it please be possible to extend the courtesy to Valence suggestions ?

I’d used the example of Karajan, I have him banned from radio, but while the ban seems solid there from my superficial attempts at goading Valence into making him goose-step into the picture, it’d still be nice to have the option to expunge those types from “collaborated with” for example.

(and yeah, I fully get the irony of getting rid of Karajan in “collaborated with” for having collaborated with… I’m not just trying to be funny here…)

2 Likes

Is it likely this will get any attention? Right now this is pretty bad, given some of the cases this leads to.
Music tastes differ, and so do personal beliefs. Frankly, I’d prefer not to listen so music by folks who promote genocide, but that’s still what Roon Radio is continuing to play, since the option to exclude artists/labels from Roon Radio does not seem to exist.

Alternatively, including support for recommendadions in the extensions API would allow this to be solved indirectly. I’m happy to help with the design of such a setup and maintain a 3rd party extension to support this.

Hold on @mike

I asked whether voting “+1” on features played any role in choosing whether to implement, and Roon (can’t recall whom) said it did not.

So, should we be voting on requests or no? Thanks!

Don’t vote, but give supplementary information on why the use case should be adopted…

Edit: since this post was originally written, the Voting function has been turned on - so now, instead of just adding “+1” posts, use the Vote button at the top of the thread.

Posts in the thread should be used to give supplementary information on why the use case should be adopted.

I also would love to see this implemented.

However, given how long it’s been since this feature request was made, I’m not holding my breath. :slightly_frowning_face:

Roon seems to think I want to hear Beck. An album I like ends and Roon Radio starts. Within five songs I’m hearing Beck and having to skip the track.

Isn’t it an obvious use case?

I hate the artist for a reason and don’t want to ever hear them again.

It is a common feature on other software like tidal or Spotify, etc.

1 Like

Count me in for artist ban!

1 Like

YES PLEASE!

One artist keeps popping up in my radio feed and I absolutely hate them with a passion. Puts me off a listening session completely when their awful voice crops up before I get a chance to skip it.
I won’t say who it is in case someone likes them!
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

The ‘work around’ to this of clicking the heart icon until it shows the album is blocked doesn’t really offer a solution because in order to block the album this way they have to be in your library! So the artist I hate that keeps on popping up will continue to do so unless I actually have their entire discography in my library and keep seeing them every time I look at my albums and artists!

So yeah, please implement a feature to just ban artists. Pretty please.
I love the radio function but this has become so annoying now it’s grating. It’s leading to anxiety attacks and will soon require medication. I have to hover over the skip button full time in case I hear a note from that artist that sends me into a bout of melancholy.
I am now considering paying a family member an hourly rate to ‘skip the hitlist’ manually with bonuses on 100% success rate of ‘not a single damn note’ - so I can do things like go to the gents or cook a meal without the anxiety.

3 Likes

I’d like to have this! I don’t use Tidal app, but I realized yesterday that it offers this option in its app.

1 Like

The ban artists feature/basic functionality is now in greater need since the daily mixes have been introduced.

I don’t like Marilyn Manson, Fear Factory or Rob Zombie. They are banned in my tidal, Spotify settings. I never want to listen to them.

Rather than some shiny new feature could you add this basic functionality?

11 Likes