Roon radio quickly goes off the rails

I don’t know where to post this, mostly looking to see if this is happening to anyone else.

I started a radio with Don’t Leave, Don’t Go by Deyaz, it’s chill and nice. Good relaxing vibe.

Next was Mood also by Deyaz - fine no problem

Then TT12 by MC Yallah, Debmaster - not the biggest fan so I skipped

Then R U A Freak by Snoop Dogg -not bad listened

Then Turn Down For What - Way off

Then Bang Bang Bang by Group X, yes this is in the library, but I didn’t add it! Why would it pick this?! Even if I was the one who added the album, this doesn’t sound like the starting song in any way.

I stopped the radio at this point.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a reason it went off the rails so quickly?

What do you mean by this?

Yes, I have experienced the same thing. Roon Radio goes way of course from the “seed/starting” point and I end up either skipping a lot or just giving up and filling the queue with my own selection.

1 Like

This is a physical rip from a while ago. It’s in the library but is far from the tastes or the profile that imitated the radio. Even if it were, that song has no business playing in the context of this radio lol

Look at the genres on each album. If there is any genre on the originating track and the track you have an issue with, then that is why it got picked up by Radio.

1 Like

They’re both “rap” and only rap. That explains it. I don’t like it, but that explains it.

I agree. I wish Roon Radio was a little “smarter” in its algorithm. Compared to Pandora or even Spotify it’s very much lacking, to the point where I’m considering disabling it altogether. I know every company closely guards its proprietary algorithms, but I hope that the Roon developers find a better solution, maybe even licensing someone else’s routines if necessary.

1 Like

Surely it just doesn’t rely on Genres? These are so wide-ranging as to be a meaningless and vague way to pick an artist of piece or music. What happened to all the AI based on what Roon users actually play?

1 Like

I agree, but, I am sure that it is part of the mix. If you are new(ish) to Roon, it might not have a large enough play history to use. Also, I’m not sure Radio uses much of a “sounds like the starting song” logic. From what I understand, a lot of radio is influenced by the playback habits of the whole Roon.

It also depends on whether or not you have a streaming service, I think if you do not have a streaming sources local radio may still use the old logic and not the newer AI based.

Agreed, but I think the OP has Qobuz, so Roon is out of excuses.

Qobuz and Tidal. So, further out of excuses.

1 Like

I already did. I found it completely unpredictable and largely bogotic, so I just turn it off.

If you look at my thread on this

If you look at @brian’s rambling non-explanation of what it does, you’ll probably miss this bit about Roon’s goals with radio:

to have lots of people enjoy it, to minimize negative feedback, and to encourage people to grow their libraries.

Well, clearly turning it off will minimize negative feedback. Though I don’t think it does much for the other two goals. Maybe turning it off should be interpreted as negative feedback.

My favorite part is his last contribution to the thread:

Step 1: use our newest/best stuff :slight_smile: . I know you’re waiting for Qobuz in the US…but there is more improvement in taking that step than in anything else you can do in the mean time.

In other words, do something he knew I couldn’t do at the time.

Anyway, I think it largely does use the genres of the album the track is drawn from, or at least did back in 2018 when I was interested. If there are lots of them, or they are poorly defined, it will wander all over.

2 Likes

Just so we’re all on the same page as far as starting song vs ending song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-F206vdqFY - Radio started from this (in Qobuz)

6 song later, it landed on this (in local library)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMHjicTcSFE

I actually did read through that thread a little while back. I wonder if the developers do monitor how often users disable Roon radio, as well as how quickly they manually intervene after it launches by skipping tracks and/or turning it off. Both would count as negative feedback in my book.

It does appear to only be using genre labels in my case, which leads to some very jarring misses. I’m not going to micro genre-ize my library to try to help the product work better. Not to mention that I don’t control how either Qobuz or Tidal tag their libraries.

There’s nothing I love more than being pleasantly surprised and growing my library, but the current iteration of Roon Radio isn’t leading to either.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.