Roon Radio repeated a song a few songs later AND it's still playing Christmas songs

Core Machine

NUC

Network Details

WRITE HERE

Audio Devices

Sonus

Description of Issue

Roon Radio repeats song

Hello @Mark_McKelvey,

I am very sorry we’ve missed on your post for this long…:pleading_face: Things are looking up and we’re confident this will be visible in our response times.

It looks like Roon Radio hasn’t been working quite as you’ve expected it to. Is this still the case? Have you tried a complete reboot of your NUC?

This problem still occurs and I recently moved my ROCK to a different location so yes a reboot was done and it didn’t stop. A quick look at the queue shows a Bon Jovi song Blue Christmas in 12 songs, 26 songs in Go Tell it on the Mountain, a couple of dozen then Noel! Noel!, around 10 songs later The Little Drummer Boy by Stevie Wonder. If you clear “upcoming” it will still load holiday songs.

Core Machine

Network Details

Audio Devices

Library Size

Description of Issue

Does Roon exclude Holiday songs on Roon Radio after a set date or does it not?

It does not matter what genre or artist you choose eventually Roon Radio will play Christmas songs.

Removing them from the queue will not bring up a “why don’t you want this song” neither will jumping to the end of the song. It seems that Roon is so good at choosing songs and artists that are similar to your first pick and then it acts brain dead and plays holiday songs. Why can’t this be fixed?

The Sonos app doesn’t do this. When I use Tidal on my phone it doesn’t do this. My free Pandora account doesn’t do this. Bluesound OS doesn’t do this . Prime music doesn’t do this.

How often does this happen and what genre are you listening to when it does?

I honestly cannot say as I have ever heard a holiday song played while I have been using Roon Radio but it’s nearly always hard rock or metal for me.

We don’t listen to hard rock or metal. If you choose a jazz genre or artist eventually there will be Christmas songs in the queue. If you choose pop-same thing. Most hard rock and heavy metal bands don’t have holiday albums so I’m am sure that is an underlying factor. Most contemporary pop or jazz artists do have holiday albums. Roon doesn’t seem to understand that if we choose Chris Botti or Michael Buble in their respective genres of jazz, big band or whatever that we don’t want to hear songs off their holiday albums. I was told that Roon had a algorithm in the software that excluded holiday songs after a certain date in Roon Radio.

I listen to a lot of punk and there are loads of Christmas songs by different punk bands. In fact the boys (yobs) did two albums of Christmas songs. I have never heard any come up in radio but if I did, like you I would be miffed if it was outside of the season.

Hello @Mark_McKelvey,

Thanks so much for resurfacing this (I have merged your two threads as they were virtually addressing the same issue) :nerd_face:

We’d love to investigate this further, that’s why I was hoping we could get your help:

• could you please share some examples of the original tracks you’ve initially played (that eventually made Roon Radio recommend Christmas music)
  • a few screenshots showing the Christmas tracks recommended by Roon Radio

Thanks in advance :pray:

Chose R&B as a genre.

Well…? Still having this issue and the extent of support has been a different staff member ask me the same question: what artist or genre we are starting the session with. I think I’ve responded with answers and screen shots. several times. It kinda looks like Roon has no intention of fixing this or giving me advice on what I can do to prevent it. A bit disappointing.