Roon randomly crashing when manually switching songs

Roon Core Machine

The PC was custom built by me a couple of years ago, primarily for workstation use.
Windows 10 Pro N 64 Bit
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Overclocked to 3.7ghz (problem persists even with the overclock disabled)
16 GB of DDR4 ram running at 2933mhz
Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti

Networking Gear & Setup Details

I am using Roon directly on my PC to listen to headphones, I do not use any of the networking or server features, I simply use Roon as a music player. Completely ignoring any network ability that Roon has. The computer is plugged into my Netgear router via an Ethernet port.

Connected Audio Devices

I am using a Schiit Modi 3+ connected via USB to my computer. (With my Schiit Asgard 3 and a Sennheiser HD800S)
I also have an HDMI television plugged in, however Roon is only used with my Schiit Modi 3+.

Number of Tracks in Library

~ Around 8750 Tracks, a Mixture of local flac files, with a very tiny amount of 320 kbps MP3 (less than 100 tracks) and a bunch of Tidal tracks, some with MQA.

Description of Issue

Roon randomly crashes when manually switching songs (About every 30 songs on average), The song keeps playing but Roon no longer responds and I am forced to force it to close via task manager in order to restart the program. It seems to happen much more frequently when MQA files are played (I use Roon’s built in software support for MQA, I have no hardware that is capable of decoding MQA files)
The player can still crash even when not reading MQA files, but about 80% of my crashes happen upon me selecting an MQA file to be played. The player stops responding about 2 seconds after the selection of a song, The song keeps playing and Roon seems to still be working, however the user interface is non responsive, no matter how long you wait for it to come back, the only way to get it working again is to force shut down the program via the Windows task manager.

This wasn’t an issue until about a month ago, and I have used Roon for over a year with no issues with the exact same setup.

This issue does not seem to occur when the music automatically switches at the end of a song, it only happens when manually selecting a new song.

I just want to add that I absolutely love Roon and I have no desire to switch to any other music player, so finding a fix would be appreciated. I have no other computers in my house that are capable of hosting a Roon server so I cannot test to see if Roon is stable on another machine. Thank you so much for your help.

Hey @Agent_Foxboy,

I will begin with an apology: we are so sorry that we missed on your post for at least two weeks. It’s hard to imagine being able to enjoy music when a crash happens, instead of the next song…:pleading_face:

We’d love to help, if this is still an issue. Would you please let us know if the behavior hasn’t changed?

It still hasn’t changed! and upon further inspection it can also trigger when going back a page (from an album to the album list, for example) and when trying do stuff in the DSP tab. Again it is also completely random, and these crashes are a relatively recent thing, having used Roon for over a year with zero issues at all.

Apologies for not replying sooner, I assumed you guys wouldn’t reply to my post lol.

Hey @Agent_Foxboy,

Ugh… :roll_eyes:. I am so sorry that our delayed responses made it seem like we wouldn’t reply at all :pleading_face: . Apologies for that too!

Thanks for following up and explaining how the problem has expanded. I wonder, the next time it happens, would you be able to write down the local date and time (the timestamp), grab a set of logs and upload them here?

Thanks a bunch in advance :pray:

Sure thing! I’ll reply in another post when I have the logs!

I have uploaded it! it just crashed a few minutes ago. :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks so much :pray:

As far as timestamps go, you said “a few minutes ago”. Today is December second, and your local time would be? An approximate time of when the crash happened would help too.

I’ve passed this on to our technical team for investigation. We’ll follow up on this thread :nerd_face:

Hey @noris, logs are here: Zoho Accounts

Roon crashes when selecting a track to play, particularly MQA content.

Approx at 8:30pm on 12/2

Any update?

Have updated to the latest graphics drivers from nvidia, not windows update? The symptoms are of a graphics crash. You might also check you have the latest opengl drivers.

Hello @Agent_Foxboy ,

Thank you for your patience here while we’ve had a chance to review your logs.

Looking over the log, there is no specific area where the Roon app is crashing, this may be due to an external variable rather than Roon itself.

Can you please confirm you have the latest GPU drivers installed? Is there any change in behavior if you temporarily try a fresh database?

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

Let us know, thanks!

My current drivers are fairly recent! They’re from late October. I will update them today and post back with the results