Roon randomly cuts out during playback, apparently losing connection

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

macOS Catalina 10.15.4/Core installed on iMac from 2019 with 3.7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 and 8GB of RAM/Roon version 1.7 (build 610)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Streamer and QNAP NAS hardwired (Ethernet) into UNIFI switch with UNIFI AP also wired in. Mac accesses via wifi through UNIFI AP

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Naim Uniti Nova streamer, with Naim Core asset manager, both hardwired to switch via Ethernet cable

Description Of Issue

During playback, music stops, after maybe a few seconds or a few minutes, either temporarily or permanently. Sometimes it is possible to get the music playing again by hitting “play” (in other words, the system has gone into “pause” mode") but most often it is simply not possible to restart it, and so I have to try loading another piece of music or else quit and restart Roon altogether. Sometimes, after it has “hung” for a minute or so, Roon will start playing another track altogether, from the same album where the hung track was contained. On most occasions, the recording seems to freeze, but sometimes the track marker moves through the recording, but no sound is emitted.

I should add that I can play music without any difficulties or interruptions from the native Naim music management system, but of course this has nowhere near the same level of flexibility, addressability and information/linkages as the Roon system. But is does mean that the streamer, switch and NAS are all working correctly, so there is either an issue with the wifi connection between the Mac and the Unifi AP (seems unlikely since wifi works for everything else!) or with the Roon installation.

One final point. This problem has been recurring from the first time I used Roon a few months ago, but in the beginning it was very intermittent and usually self-recovered. But is has gradually deteriorated to the point where I now rarely get more than a few seconds of playback.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Just to make sure I understand your audio chain before I comment, the Naim streamer, the NAS are both connected via Ethernet to the same switch. The Core, which is on the MAC is connected Wirelessly?

Hi Rugby

Yes, that is correct. The somewhat confusing element of my description is that the Naim device which manages the NAS is also called a “Core”, though it is otherwise entirely unrelated to Roon! The Roon Core sits on the Mac, which as you correctly say is connected to the switch wirelessly. I hope this helps.

Thank you

A

Are the music files stored on the mac?

No, all stored on the NAS

Well, that is probably the issue. All music is streamed to the Roon core from the NAS, processed and then streamed out to the endpoint. That puts a lot is strain on the wifi hop to the core.

This must be a common issue, right? is the fix a simple one - to hard wire the Mac to the switch? Or is there something more complex? Thank you again for your quick and helpful responses, btw :slight_smile:

I would try hardwiring the core and see if that works as a test.

Will try that, thanks - just heading out to get some cable, as I am out! Out of curiosity, do you think the Roon Core will automatically locate and use the new connection, or are there settings I would need to adjust?

Wow, Daniel - you were right on the money with that suggestion! I’ve hardwired that baby and it is perfection. Thank you so, so much. Often the simplest things are the best, and even though this solution was, in hindsight, glaringly obvious, I have been blind to it. I am exceedingly happy!! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

2 Likes

Glad it is working for you! Enjoy the music. I am with my favorite beverage.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.