Roon randomly stops playing music

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

AMD Ryzen/Roon 1.8

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Sparky running Roon

Description Of Issue

Roon will sometimes just stop playing music. It will then not be able to resume until I close and restart the app. Often, it will then no longer see the output device until I restart that as well. This didn’t happen before at least not in this manner/frequency.
Further trying made me think it might have to do with the fact I was playing from Qobuz and it was hires material. Roon didn’t give a message about not being ablee to load the date fast enough though and also the endpoint disappearing wouldnt support the idea that that’s the cause, but I haven’t had it anymore since playing local material so could be related.

The 1.8 has caused me some headaches so far but I will try to work around the issues and hope for bugfixes. Because otherwiise I do love the new version!

Sorry for the trouble here, @Alexander_Adema

Does this happen for both local and streaming music?

If you play to System Output of the Core machine is there any change?

I’ve been trying, so for it seems to be when I play ffrom Qobuz. Havent been able to recreate it with playing local files. System output has worked when I tried but I never use that for extended tiimes.
Could it be a network hickup for qobuz? I don’t get a message about data being slow to load

Hi @Alexander_Adema

Are you still seeing this issue? If so, can you reproduce the problem and let us know what time you do as well as the track that you try to play? We’ll enable diagnostics and take a look. Thanks!

Hi. Yes this still occurs. Also with local files it turns out. It happens at seemingly random moments while the music is playing so its hard to reproduce, but next time it happens I will try to post what track/time and other details I can think of

It happens on many/all albums. It does not happen to local output but anything playing to my Sparky with Roon bridge, will stop playing at random moments, sometimes after half an hour, sometimes an hour sometimees 10 minutes. The only way to get it to work again is fully restart of the devices, a lot of waiting, frustration and wondering why Im paying premium prices for a music player that is unable to play even a single album without failing halfway. This is very frustrating and I am now back to exploring other options so that I can at least listen to music again.

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

AMD Ryzen 12 core 32gig PC

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Sparky w/ roon endpoint

Description Of Issue

My main Roon endpoint, running on a Sparky USBridge, which has worked perfectly until the recent update to 1.8, now suddenly disappears from Roon at random moments. When im starting up Roon it may or may not find it. Also in the middle of playing music, the music will regularly just stop halfway a song after which the endpoint is not visible in roon (still perfectly accessible in the network otherwise) and nothing fixes this but a hardware reboot.

Needless to say, after a few weeks of dealing with this and trying to find solutions, I am now extremely frustrated with my music playing experience. I have been a happy paying customer for Roon for close to 5 years now, but at this point, I am ready to throw it overboard, cancel my membership forgood and buy or build a system that actually works. The response to my earlier service requests about this issue has not helped at all and at this point I’m losing hope that this is an issue that will be fixed.

I have rarely enjoyed using a software program as much as I enjoyed Roon until a few weeks ago, but it seems like we are about to break up. Going back to previous versions that does work doesn’t seem to be an option either.
I’m not trying to sound bitter here but I kindof am, paying well over 100€ a year for a music player that can barely play a single album before failing is not making me a happy customer. I have turned off auto-renewal of my subscription while I wait for either this to be resolved or I find another solution.

Best regards,
Alexander

1 Like

Hi @Alexander_Adema

Just to confirm, when the device disappears, does it still show up in Settings > Audio? Or does it not show up in Roon at all?

As mentioned above, I’d like to enable diagnostics on your account for one instance of this occurring. Can you reproduce the problem and let us know what time you do as well as the track that you try to play? We’ll take a look at this instance!

The device becomes invisible even in settings->audio when I checked.
I am fine with turning on diagnostics if that provides some useful information.

And then just play until it happens and make a note of the time and track? Sounds doable. Let me know if this is what you mean and if there is anything I should do on my end to enable diagnostics]

Best regards,
Alexander

Hi @Alexander_Adema

Nothing that you need to do on your end — Just the next time that you see the device disappear please let me know the time and the track. That’ll help us track down a specific instance to look at when we are running diagnostics, and that should give us some additional insight into what’s occurring.

A post was split to a new topic: “Meridian MS200” disappears or just stops playing

Hi. It just happened again seconds ago. Time = 10:56 CET
Track = Smashing Pumpkins - To Forgive

Another occurence: 3:12 CET
Track = Porcupine Tree - Great Expectations

The output device is called ‘CDDA 12SN7’.

Another occurence just now. 6-mar-21 14:45 CET
Song: Porcupine Tree - Even Less.

It happens once every 1-2 hours but hopefully this gives you enough instances to look into the problem.
I really hope it can be resolved because it’s a quite frustrating problem!

Kind regards,
Alexander

And another occurence at about 12:20 CET
Track Steven WIlson - Follower.

Please let me know if the problem can be fixed

Another occurrence at 11:30 CET
Track: 12 Things I Forgot by Steven Wilson

I hope the problem can be resolved. If not, is there a way I can get a refund on my recently renewed subscription?. I basically can’t really use the software for it’s intended purpose as it stands.

Hi @Alexander_Adema

Apologies for the delay! Our team’s queue is longer than typical at the moment, but we’re working to get back to everyone as quickly as we can.

I wanted to reach out because I’ve been keeping an eye on our servers, waiting for the aforementioned diagnostics report.

For some reason it is not reaching our servers, even after I tried re-enabling diagnostics on your account. I also ran a quick test and I was able to submit a similar report from my setup here, so something else is going on.

So we can move forward, I was hoping for now you could use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.

Do you have a dropbox account or other method I could use for uploading this without much trouble? I do not have a dropbox account.

KR,
Alexander

I have uploaded the logfile here Dropbox - Roon_log.01.txt - Simplify your life

And another occurrence at 14:45

Track - Riverside - Acid Rain
Logfile here Dropbox - Roon_log.txt2.txt - Simplify your life