Roon Re-Importing Library

@support,
Hello, I have about 74,000 tracks on a Thunderbolt RAID NAS connected directly to my Macbook Pro. Both the computerand NAS drive are left on, with all drive sleep mode and energy savings turned off. Once in awhile, my collection is re-imported, and ROON shows these as duplicates, but located in a drive called Music-1, where the original is Music.

Music-1 duplicates can’t be played because that folder name doesn’t exist. I can clean the duplicates up if I restart Roon Server. Why does this keep happeninhg?

Thanks,

Terrance

Maybe it is an artifact of some backup process that you have running against the thunderbolt NAS? Seems like a quick check to see if the timing of the duplicates coincides with a backup process.

Is your RAID configuration exposing its internal redundancy to Roon’s watched folder? That would be my first explanation for the duplicate albums.

AJ

Hi @Terrance_Wong ----- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us. Both are appreciated!

Moving forward, to help us better understanding this behavior you are experiencing/reporting, may I very kindly ask you for the following:

• A screen shot of your “storage” tab in Roon.

• Can you please also provide examples of the “paths” for a file you know is in Roon and the duplicate of that same file that appears.

• Please provide more details about the Thunderbolt RAID NAS you are implementing.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Screenshot attached.

My paths are pretty simple. The NAS is called music, and I have 4 folders with various names like

16 bit
24 bit
burmester
dsd

Each folder holds hundreds of albums. Its not specific folders that’s being reimported, its my entire library. Just before starting to write this reply, I copied over a new download and noticed this happening again, it seems to be linked to Roon seeing a new folder added.

My entire collection folder path went from

Volumes/Music/16 bit Recordings/etc…

to

Volume/Music/1/16 bit Recordings/etc…

The raid is call the Mini Quad Thunderbolt by Akitio.

Mine is just the standard single speed but its similar to this

https://www.akitio.com/portable-storage/akitio-thunder2-quad-mini

Hi @Terrance_Wong ---- Thank you for touching base with me and taking the time to provide the requested feedback.

Moving forward, may I very kindly ask you to please provide me with some additional information:

• Screenshots of…

• Your “storage” tab found under “settings”.

• These directories on the mentioned storage device:

• “Volumes/Music/”

• “Volume/Music/1/”

• Can you very briefly outline for me (from a procedural stand point) how you are going about adding new content to the NAS.

-Eric

Hi Eric, I sent the screen shot of the duplicate storage paths yesterday

This is of my storage path.

I add content by copy and pasting the folder from my local download folder onto my dedicted music NAS.

Hi @Terrance_Wong ---- Thank you for touching base with me and taking the time to provide the requested feedback.

Moving forward, may I very kindly ask you to please provide me with some additional information:

• Screenshots of…

• Your “storage” tab found under “settings”.

• These directories on the mentioned storage device:

• “Volumes/Music/”

• “Volume/Music/1/”

• Can you very briefly outline for me (from a procedural stand point) how you are going about adding new content to the NAS.

-Eric
[/quote]

To be clear, the duplicate Music/1 folders don’t exist on the NAS, but ROON is showing them as new folders. If I try to play something, I get an error. If I try to use clean library tool, nothing is identified. I woukd have to shut down the ROON Server, restart, then if I got clean libray, ROON will begin finding the duplicates and I can delete it all.

Thanks for the follow up and the insight, @Terrance_Wong. Very appreciated!

Moving forward, I would like to get our techs some more information about this issue you are experiencing with the RAID NAS. In light of this would kindly please send us a set of logs from the device hosting your Roon core via the following command line flag:

Flag: -watchertrace

-Eric

Sorry, I’m running core server, and don’t know how to do that.

Hi @Terrance_Wong ---- Thank you for touching base with me, appreciated.

After seeing your response I went and did some further research into the Mini Quad Thunderbolt and noticed that Akitio offers this application for OSX called the AKiTIO Data Multiplier. At any point has this application been used with the device?

Furthermore, I am going to enable diagnostics on your account and we cab take a look at what’s going on here.

-Eric

Hi Eric, no I’m not using this. The only thing I’m doing is using my Mac’s OS to run the RAID drives. I’m don’t have anything else running.

Thanks for the insight, @Terrance_Wong!

I wanted to touch base to let you know that we’ve received the mentioned diagnostics report from your system and that it’s in our queue to be evaluated by a member tech team. Once the team has completed their analysis and provided me with an update, I will be sure to share the team’s thoughts/findings with you in a timely manor.

-Eric