Roon Ready Certification

So great it only impacts my new $6500.00 Bricasti M3 DAC/Streamer. I feel a lot better knowing I can continue to use Roon for Sonos and my KEF LS50W wireless speakers but if I move my Roon Core to a new server the Bricasti M3 is unusable.

Thanks for supporting your customers who are in the middle of your turf war!

3 Likes

To be clear Roon could have said we won’t support it, which is what they have said all along regarding the NAD M10, which I owned and sold over frustrations with the M10 and Roon. Roon wouldn’t help me and NAD told me to talk to Roon. Roon’s turf wars shouldn’t come down on the end user.

2 Likes

What about community developed projects? I use the Roon Bridge plugin for Volumio on my MiniDSP SHD, will that be impacted? I get hiding the option to enable for users who don’t know what they are doing, but what about devs and power users? Maybe just have a allow uncertified devices option with a warning for power users.

1 Like

I would recommend you vent your disappointment to Bricasti support, as it is clearly they who have disingenuously released a product with the false claim as to its Roon-Ready status. Hardware manufacturers making those false claims moved by marketing decisions affect Roon’s goodwill. Roon has every reason to act like they have announced today.

12 Likes

Word. :100:

Roon has been quite clear that this ONLY affects devices being released and marketed as ‘Roon-Ready’, without having completed the Roon certification process. Of course, Roon Bridge software on a Raspberry Pi or any other computer will not be affected.

2 Likes

The Chord 2Go shows as uncertified. Will it stop working if I disable it?

Evidently some people in this thread are better at listening to music, then they are at reading words.

Another tempest in a teapot.

4 Likes

Where have Roon talked about marketing?

My oh my, Roon does have a way with communication, doesn’t it?

1 Like

What a chaotic announcement.

So, @Dylan , does this mean that our Linn DS players, not Roon certified, can continue to be added in to a Roon system after 21 September? Your email to us said the opposite.

From a look at our current inventory using your latest post as a guide, the Pi systems are ok, and the Linn systems seem to be ok (some are Roon Tested and some are “Other”). However an Arcam AV40, only a couple of months old, is “uncertified” – so the most recent device I have purchased will be the only one to be blocked. The whole thing is very bizarre.

My just received Elac Z3 is shown as “uncertified.” Should I be returning it to Elac under their 30 day return policy?

Roon Bridge is not affected. Community-developed stuff is not affected.

This is only about manufacturers who licensed the Roon Ready SDK from us commercially, then violated our license by skipping the Roon Ready certification process. It’s not very many manufacturers. We began communicating with manufacturers about this in 2018. They have had ample warning to sort things out.

6 Likes

Please don’t pick on others. The wording in Roon’s email is “If you purchase a device that is not certified as Roon Ready, you will not be able to Enable it for use after September 21st” which is pretty clear. But not what they meant to say.

1 Like

At least, Roon could pre-supply the popcorn for when they make announcements like this…

7 Likes

Roon needs to work with their vendors to help them get certified. They shouldn’t punish the end user because they have allowed me to stream to a Roon Ready - Uncertified device and now are taking away that option if I make a change to my Roon server. This isn’t about certification or Bricasti it is about Roon’s screw the user we have their money mentality.

I shouldn’t have to pay for any perceived misdeeds by Bricasti, NAD or any other audio company. Roon allows me to stream to the Bricasti M3, which by the way works flawlessly, and now they want to take it away because they want to strong arm vendors. This pissing match between Roon and their Roon partners shouldn’t rain down on me.

2 Likes

If it’s not that many manufacturers, can you list them?

Sorry, this is not a name+shame operation.

It’s device manufacturers who to push their products to Roon users release them as supposedly Roon-Certified without having completed the certification process. This is disingenuous at best. If buyers of such products later experience problems with Roon working nicely with their new and costly device, guess who they will claim to be at fault? The discussion here on this very day show clearly that Roon will be attacked for the consequences of borderline fraudulent marketing of hardware manufacturers… So, if you are affected by this new Roon policy, I’d advise to go and move against the hardware manufacturer who made the false claims in the first place.

6 Likes

Brian - as Roon must know which manufacturers are affected why not 1) be clear about that with your users and 2) sort it out between yourselves. At the moment Roon must realise that subscriptions have been sold based on people trialling and enjoying Roon with such products. How will Roon reimburse those individuals?

2 Likes