Roon Ready DAP?

I’m not 100% sure but I think this is $89 for an Onkyo to hifiman adapter cable or $110 for a Onkyo to hifiman connectors cable.

I don’t have any problems streaming Roon to my DP-1X, so I suspect a network issue. If your Roon server is not hard wired, you may try that first. Also, see if you can create a separate Wifi network that uses a channel or frequency different than the rest of the devices in your home. I used to have similar problems with my Aries until I created an Aries only Wifi network using 5Ghz frequency.

1 Like

[quote=“ged_hickman1, post:56, topic:18498, full:true”]
I’m not 100% sure but I think this is $89 for an Onkyo to hifiman adapter cable or $110 for a Onkyo to hifiman connectors cable.[/quote]

Nope. It is this at $105:

I have been exchanging emails with SurfCables (super fast replies I got from them, and over the weeken!), Andy they pointed to this, saying:

The source (player is trrs) the headphones are trs or actually ts since r is not used. T= tip R=ring and S=sleeve.

The older hifiman units had screw in type jacks on them. Assuming you have the newer ones they just have a female socket with no threads.

Still, expensive! I will keep looking.

On another note somebody over at Head-fi forums said that DP-X1 putting 300 mW power at 32 Ohms in Balanced mode is not enough to drive the HE-400i. Hmmm…

When you guys use the Onkyo DP-X1 DAP as an endpoint are you finding it as a networked device or are you connecting it to the Roon core via USB?

I use Hifiman HE-400i and HE-1000 together with a Pioneer XDP-100R, single ended. I use Variable LineOut of course and have yet to come across a song where volume and quality lacks…
Yes, of course a stationary headphone amp has got more grunt, but i have found an acceptable compromise here when it comes to portability, quality and versatility. Lots of y-words here… :wink:

2 posts were split to a new topic: What Android DAPs allow installation of third party .apk files?

I have this DAP. Roon works, but is not bit-perfect.

Figured I’d post here rather than start a new thread.

I use a Pono for “portable” listening (the bedroom), but, with my wife working semi-permanently now in the living room, I’m potentially looking for a new DAP with which to access my Roon Core from the bedroom.

Are we still dealing with not being able to bypass Android’s OS mixer for bit-perfect output via the Roon Android app? Maybe there’s a more recent DAP I’m not aware of that is Roon Ready and does not use Android? Let me know, please. I appreciate it!

Thanks so much!

Still the same Roon follows the android audio mixer so what it says it supports is what you get. On my Hiby R5 I get up to 44.1/24 and that’s it before resampling kicks in although it’s capable of 384/24 or DSD128 for other apps.

1 Like

The Hiby R6 2020 advertises it allows native sample rates through all apps. I am trying to get confirmation on head-fi that this works with roon right now. Other than that, your only portable roon end point option is a Hugo2Go or a MojoPoly, but neither one of those are DAPs strictly speaking

1 Like

Thanks for the updates, folks. Keep us posted on that Hiby info, Joe!

It won’t work with Roon, my R5 works the same. Roon itself is the issue not the hardware. It’s hardcoded to follow the Android mixer doesnt matter what the dap can do.

2 Likes

Ah man, Gipsy…That’s too bad.

What a shame that there are a couple of apps which can genuinely bypass Android’s OS Mixer and Roon isn’t one of them.

Unfortunately yes Roon doesn’t play ball, Plex is also one that doesn’t. All the rest do on the Hiby which is why I don’t use Roon much on it. Shame as its a great little unit.

2 Likes

LMFAO. Hiby fixes android and roon app is still just broke on its own GG. TYVM for the info

It’s for compatibility reasons so it runs on none dap hardware, but so do other apps such as Tidal and Qobuz so its a sticking point. One I hope they remedy at some point.

My Astell&Kern claimed Roon Ready 2 years ago, now not even able to install Roon and live with Android mixer, felling so bad for big money invested.

1 Like

God, yah. This is so scummy. IIRC they even anounced a launch date and just never did it.

Wait, so tidal and qubuz resample as well? Is the hiby “we bypass andorids resampling for all apps” thing just a lie?

No they are fine, you misunderstood what I mean. . If the app like Roon or Plex follows Android mixer and it’s fixed that’s what you get, Tidal and Qobuz don’t do that nor UAPP but plenty do. Just because the os is bypassing it does not mean 100% apps will if they employ there own resampling which Roon does.

I have been looking at this for quite some time. The best solution for portable bit perfect is an iPod Touch, or iPhone. If the iOS device is not enough to drive your cans, you get bit perfect out of lightning, so I use a XDUOO XD-05 Plus. Wish Roon would give us bit perfect on Android…